Shutter randomly not releasing on D5000??!!

akbirdy

I've owned my D5000 for about a year now. At random (it seems) the camera will allow me to focus (giving me the in-focus beep) but will not release the shutter after I'm trying over and over? I will try different focus points and still nothing (thinking I might need more contrasty point)

I've been shooting in manual, continuous release mode, AF-S OR AF-A, single point focus.

I'm HOPING this is a user/or setting problem and not my camera!!! It is very frustrating when I have a perfect shot set up and my camera decides (?) not to shoot!?

Any help out there?? Does this need service? I'm using the 35mm 1.8 lens with it.

fotojack

I can only think of two things it could be. 1: batteries not fully charged. 2: a possible manufacturers defect and since it's still under warranty, should be sent in for repair. Other than that, the problem doesn't make sense as to why it wouldn't work properly.

akbirdy

Thanks fotojack... unfortunately, when it happened again last night, the battery was fully charged...

When shooting in manual, is there any way my settings could have caused this? I know even if you are severely under/over exposed, the shutter should still fire? (I wasn't either)

Being somewhat of a newbie, I would hate to find out it was something I was missing after sending it back... I need to check my warranty... I think it's just up last month :(

akbirdy

It seems to happen 5-10 out of 100 shots? Sad thing is I think it's been happening possibly since I got it and this whole time I've been thinking I need to "learn more" to make my camera perform better.

fotojack

I'm going to assume you live in the States, and you say you've had this camera for about a year. Therefore it has a 2 year warranty period, so you're still under warranty. What's happening to your camera is not normal, so save yourself some grief and send it in, explaining to them EXACTLY what's going on with it.

akbirdy

Do all Nikon bodies come w a two year?? I like the sound of this, if so. I bought mine from Costco. I cannot seem to find any paperwork that says anything other than a 1 year warranty? Maybe this was for a lens? Guess I need to make a call and figure out a way to get my babe fixed either way... After this, I've been thinking of getting a d5100 or d90 so I always have a back-up :)
Need to start my research...

jlmtik09

Hi there akbirdy... I was wondering if you are still having the problem? and if not what did you do to correct it? I too have a D5000 as well as my niece, we are both having the same issue! It is so frustrating, because of this problem I have missed some really great shots! I do not feel that it is anything I am doing... I think it is a fault in the camera!!! Just curious if you found anything out. Let me know, thanks -