Tripod confusion

cbgold

I'm still new at this and want to buy my first tripod. Tried to do some research here but there is so much to choose from I don't know where to start. I have a D3100, Tamron 18-270mm and Nikon 50mm lenses. All of my pictures are family and landscape for my own pleasure. I can spend around $200. What would you recommend? Thanks.

crisscross

I was very reluctant to use and carry a tripod for a long time and remain so as far as 'pro' stuff is concerned. However I saw a friend using a Velbon Ultrek and thought 'eureka!". It is rated for 2kg and you might just squeeze in. However it has a twin brother Rexi L rated for 4kg which I now have. A touch larger and less nifty than Ultrek, but really tall & sturdy for a 'travel' grade. Velbon - REXi L Should be within budget your side. I have the same QHD-53D Ball & Socket Head & it is far less fiddly than previous 3 way one I had

Ruidoso Bill

The big mistake for first tripod purchase is buying a cheap one, you know the $39 model that looks good but is never quite tall or sturdy enough. Many including myself made this mistake, not once but several times. If you want to take it on a hike the carbon fiber ones are pretty nice and light and expensive, if more for stationary use check ebay and look for a good manfrotto, I picked mine up for around $200 (probably a $500 tripod new). I love the stability and since I'm over 6' the hieght is great.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It is always best to include your height. Do you plan on doing macro photography? Around $300 to $400 will get you better selection.

fotojack

Thanks for the information. Do tripods come with ball heads or is that a separate purchase?

Depends which tripod you get. Some (cheaper) ones come with a built in head, some come with a ball head (package deal), and some require that you pick your own ball head, such as a Manfrotto or a Gitzo tripod.

cbgold

I am 5ft 10 in. I dont want to out cheap myself but i have no intention of ever being a pro. I think I might like to try my hand someday at macro. I could up the ante to around $400 for a tripod and ball head that would last for a while. Any recommendations around there for both tripod and ballhead? Thanks for your time.

fotojack

You don't have to have intentions of being a pro to want a good tripod. The reason for a good tripod is stability for your camera, to eliminate (as much as possible) camera shake. Even the movement of your shutter will cause some camera shake.
My personal preference for a good tripod is a Manfrotto. I own a $400 Manfrotto 055 (picked it up used for $75 from a guy that didn't know how to change the head on it :) ) Look for bargains in your local newspaper, on Craigslist, on Kijiji (if you have it in your area). Believe me, you will NEVER regret having the best tripod you can afford. It will show in your pictures.
Let us know what you finally end up with. :)

Naturally, I'd recommend a Manfrotto ball head for the tripod, such as the 496 or 498 RC2. Absolutely great ball heads in their own right.

Sambr

A Manfrotto 190BX & a Manfrotto 494cr2 ball head will run you about $280-300 great combination - I can use this combo with my D700 & 300f4 lens and a cable release - no problems with stability :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I am 5ft 10 in. I dont want to out cheap myself but i have no intention of ever being a pro. I think I might like to try my hand someday at macro. I could up the ante to around $400 for a tripod and ball head that would last for a while. Any recommendations around there for both tripod and ballhead? Thanks for your time.

I'm not a pro either but I have spent more on my support system and made it future proof. Meaning it can handle the heaviest lenses around. For a mid level carbon fiber tripod that are also good for traveling are the: induro, feisol, benro and manfrotto as suggested. It is important to get a stronger ballhead which plays a more important role in keeping your camera and lens steady.

Just search their website and decide which one will work best for you. I've spent over $1k with mine so I won't bother suggesting it.

NEW FEISOL Traveler Tripod CT-3441SB Rapid with CB-30C Ball Head

INDURO | Products | Tripods | Carbon CT Series 8X Tripods

Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Tripod and MH054MO-Q2 Ball 190CXPRO4-M0Q2B

ohkphoto

Snow White
I have one tripod that I use ALL the time --the gitzo explorer series. It's carbon fiber so it's light and tough, quick release head (I use a plate on both cameras so it's faster to change cameras than to change lenses), the legs can be positioned in unlevel terrain (very handy if you hike or take pictures of fences from a bar ditch on a back road LOL), and the center column can be positioned for on the ground macro shooting.

Here's a link to what it looks like and its features. Series 2 6X Explorer 3S QR Kit - Explorer Kits | Gitzo I bought mine on ebay for about $400 and have never regretted it. No sense having a great camera and lenses and a wobbly, cheap tripod.

cbgold

I'm getting there thanks to all your help. Leaning towards a Manfrotto 055XPROB. Now I have a question about the height. Different places it shows different max heights. I'm 5ft 10in and at my age I don't like bending over any more then I have to. Will this be tall enough for me? Weight does not concern me. Still big and strong for my age and 5 lbs or so doesn't bother me at all. I did read in one review that this model is too long for airplane carry on. Anyone know anything about taking tripods on planes? Thanks again for your time.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Some includes the center column being raised. My tripod goes up to 4 11" but with the head, battery grip, it is just level with my eyes. I'm 5 9". If you buy a 4 section and the tripod is too tall, you can just leave the bottom legs retracted. Tripod maybe considered as a weapon, so just check them in with your suitcase or luggage.

fotojack

hmmm...now ya got me curious. I never really paid attention to the height of my tripods. I have a Manfrotto 055 (older model) and a Daiwoo Hi-Ace 400 (now owned by Slik).

The Manfrotto measures in as follows:

lowest - 23" floor to base plate.
highest - 52.25" floor to base.
with center column fully extended - 70" floor to base of ball head.
Legs extended out to farthest point, column fully extended - 37". Column lowered - 20.75"
Legs collapsed, center column fully extended - 27.5". The center column by itself is 17.75" by itself.

The Hi-Ace measures as follows:

Lowest - 14.75" floor to base plate.
Highest - 40.75" floor to base plate.
with center column fully extended - 51.50" floor to base of ball head. Center column by itself is 10.75".
The legs don't have any outward adjustment other than standard spread.

Quite a difference in height between these two. Both have their particular uses. Both are heavy duty.

Last edited:

Claudia!

I am glad I found this post. I am also interested in purchasing a tripod. I am 5ft 2 inches. I have a d7000. What should I really be looking for? I just started my research. I am willing to spend 200-300.

fotojack

I am glad I found this post. I am also interested in purchasing a tripod. I am 5ft 2 inches. I have a d7000. What should I really be looking for? I just started my research. I am willing to spend 200-300.

The #1 priority for any good tripod is stability. The whole idea behind a tripod is to avoid/eliminate camera shake, so you need a sturdy platform on which to mount your camera. Carbon fiber tripods are rigid yet sturdy....but expensive. Aluminum tripods are the norm for most people, and they come in a wide variety of sizes and degrees of sturdiness. They are also cheaper...relatively speaking. For your height, I'd get one with a maximum height of 60" fully extended, but no lower than 50". Check eBay for tripods. If you have a camera store near you, check their used equipment department for bargains. Some really good names are Manfrotto, Gitzo, Slik, Velbon.

Claudia!

I spoke with a store representative. He also told me carbon fiber was better than aluminum. I have been looking on the Manfrotto site recently. I will continue to look into it. I am not the type to do a impulsive buy. Right now I am in the research process. Thank you for your fast response.