Field Monitor for D3100

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Hi Rob - what you basically need is a way to tether the d3100 while in live view. From what I've read, I believe you can use the HDMI output to achieve this. So you should be able to use anything that has an hdmi input as a monitor. (laptop, some tablets)

Boomer

Yes. You go from the HDMI output to the input of the video device. That may require some adapters.

For example, I was doing a desktop shoot and I went from HDMI to composite (Nikon cable), to a female to female adapter, to a male to male AV composite cable into a little DVD player with AV input. Worked great.

Go to LiveView and the monitor comes on.

Jonathan

I have just bought a Lilliput 7" on-camera monitor (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050MVDV8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It takes HDMI input from the camera and can sit in the hot-shoe (mount just ordered). I want it for astrophotography. I have just plugged it in and it works fine. I now want to find out how to get rid of all the settings icons around the live view so I can have full screen on the monitor. Anyone have any ideas how to do this? Cycling through Info goes some way but I want all the "clutter" to disappear.

Edit: In addition to trying to get to fill screen, does anyone know how to keep live view on. There seems only to be 30 second "windows" which are way too short.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Dxer

There is a little switch on the back that has the letters "Lv" under it. That turns your LCD screen into a viewfinder.