Conversion software

jonrags

What is a good choice for software to convert the raw Nikon images to jpg/gif/tiff/etc? I am hoping there is something free (or close to it).

Ruidoso Bill

The best choice is Adobe Lightroom. Not free but if you hunt around can be had for a good price. Free use Nikon View, there are several others if you google.

Clayton

I use photoshop elements for most organizing and mild editing, but the viewNX software is very good as well. I am planning on looking into lightroom also.

crisscross

I am firmly wedded to Nikon View for download & 1st weedout but NOT convert. Converting a nef is throwing half its benefit in the bin. Command O in View opens it, still nef, in Nikon Capture NX2 and, except for a .jpg reduction for posting on forums, you need NEVER convert. The Nikon Electronic Format includes both the original and edited version of the file, and a couple of alternative edits for ever. Print from it, re-visit any number of times for small tweaks as you learn new tricks. The file does not get significantly bigger as would a tiff or psd. You organise your folders, back-up etc as you want it rather than as someone thinks you should want it.

However, it is clear from occasional demos of CS & Lightroom, that some peoples brains are constructed differently! So have a look at both and see which yours suits.

Nikon software is the only software that uses the Picture Control dialogue between camera and software and it is often all you need on images of clear subjects taken with correct settings.

If you get convinced that Photoshop/Elements is the bees knees, an alternative, but not free, 1st class conversion prog to ACR is DxO optics (I believe the lightroom pirates have boarded and captured its methodology of basing tools on analysis of camera and lens outputs).

Be aware also that Nikon always gives a free upgrade when a new camera is launched. Adobe do not & in fact there is no ACR for D7000 using CS4 - you have to upgrade at more cost than a new Capture NX2