D5100 Auto Bracketing

Rick M

I noticed in the specs it can bracket 3 exposures in steps of 1/2 or 1/3. Does this mean it could bracket the following:

-2, 0, +2 EVs?

This is what I usually shot for HDR and want to make sure it is capable of that before I upgrade. The built in "HDR" is useless (to me) since it only brackets 2 shots.

Thanks!

Rick M

Is the 3 exposures captured with one or three shutter clicks. Just wondering if I would still need to use a tripod for 3 seperate shots. Also, if they are seperate clicks, can it be accomplished using the burst mode?

I was trying to read the manual on nikonusa, but that site runs super slow!

Clayton

Well look at that! I was JUST exploring this option over the weekend and my question has been magically answered! HDR is fun:) One caveat, I do not like how you HAVE to shoot writing to JPEG only and can't write in RAW using HDR mode. The manual doesn't discuss HDR and troubleshooting it was a bit frustrating online.

Rick M

Unfortunately, the HDR feature was poorly thought out, you want at least 3 exposures, so auto bracketing in RAW is the way to go.

nniicckkss

LisaR

So you are using your D5100 to take 3 shot-AEB Bracketing @ +/- 2 EV? I also have been teaching myself HDR photography....I love it...but my current camera will only do AEB at +/- 1 so I am looking to upgrade...big change for me because I will be going from a compact digital (Nikon P500) to a DSLR (my first) so I am really trying to research which camera will allow me to do what i want to do with HDR photography. How do you like your D5100?

eurotrash

You only have to hold the shutter release button down one time though. Don't know if that was made clear or not. So, select your EV bracket steps, set it all up. Compose, then hold down the shutter release. You'll hear three exposures being taken. You can release your finger after that. Every time I release prematurely, it only takes 1 or two shots. I don't know if your cameras differ in that regard?

Rick M

You only have to hold the shutter release button down one time though. Don't know if that was made clear or not. So, select your EV bracket steps, set it all up. Compose, then hold down the shutter release. You'll hear three exposures being taken. You can release your finger after that. Every time I release prematurely, it only takes 1 or two shots. I don't know if your cameras differ in that regard?

I really hate it when I release prematurely too, Oops! Wrong forum!:)

Sorry, had to beat Pete to this one :)

Just ordered my D5100 and was researching features like bracketing and this is what popped up in Google and answered my question perfectly. Why do I bother to look in google. I will just search here.
Greatest forum on the net.