looking for a nice rolling bag

Dave Hamilton

My Dear Nikonite Friends,

I need to call upon you for your expertise and really nice advice again when it comes to a nice computer + camera bag. Last year I was preparing for a trip to Guatemala and I needed a top quality backpack style bag. For that trip the advice given to me via the US government and also several friends in Guatemala was to carry a bag that didn’t look like a computer bag or a camera bag. The Naneu K4L was a first class choice, but the problem is that the K4L is a heavy bag when loaded.

I was just diagnosed with advanced severe degenerative bone disease in so many parts of my body that it would take 30-minutes to list them all. This is in addition to my heart problems. There are times when the idea of carrying a heavy bag (20-30 pounds) is no longer feasible. I carry my D7000 and two 17” laptops with me everywhere I travel. This year I’m going to cut the camera equipment for my next couple of trips down to my 18-105 and my 80-200. If I can’t shoot it with one of those I won’t shoot it. I’m also going to go down to a very lightweight tripod.

It is my hope that I can find this in a ROLLING bag that is small enough to carry on. If I have to put it under the plane I won’t buy it simply because that’s how I lost my first F3 to an American Airlines employee. I also can’t take a chance of killing my laptops.

So give me your opinion as to the best rolling bag that will carry my camera, 2 lenses and two laptops. Cost needs to be $400 or less. Trips this year include, Cozumel, Jamaica, Maui, Kona, and Grand Cayman. My daughter will also be doing Guatemala again, so the bag might go there if it has the right look.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Dave - sorry to hear about your health condition.

I use a Pelican 1510 with the padded dividers. It works very well when traveling and it fits airline requirements for carry-on baggage. However, it is not designed to store a laptop. You can put a lock on it to keep your valuables secured and can be used as a stool if you want to sit on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1510-...SVMW/ref=pd_bxgy_p_text_c/182-5777645-7582138

In this case, I would suggest the lowepro roller bag

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Roller-X100-Rolling-Camera/dp/B004C4YXJ4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_3

LensWork

advice given to me via the US government and also several friends in Guatemala was to carry a bag that didn’t look like a computer bag or a camera bag. The Naneu K4L was a first class choice

As the former product manager of Naneu Pro, and a contributing designer of the K4L, I am glad that you like the bag.

I was just diagnosed with advanced severe degenerative bone disease in so many parts of my body that it would take 30-minutes to list them all. This is in addition to my heart problems.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. I would look at the ThinkTank Photo Airport Series .

Berkerk

Can you not get an insertable trolly for your existing bag?
I'm a fan of Kata bags and many of their bags are compatible with a trolly insert, so you can have a backpack that converts to a roller bag.
They've also got a lightweight guarantee going at the moment, if you can find a similar bag that weighs less than theirs they'll take it back and refund you.