Salesman told me to not buy a d7000

Oomph

Hiya. names Jason and i Just joined this forum today looking for some deeper info on the d7000 ive been looking to get for a few months now. I went to the Henry's outlet store to compare the feel of a D90 and D7000 with my brother in law who was planing on getting the D7000, the salesman told us that that alot of people are returning the D7000 and exchanging it for a D90 because of to many faults/bugs, he didnt go into great detail about the issues ( most of them i cant even recall at this time ) but we ended up with a D90 after the rant from the salesman. Has anyone returned the D7000 for a D90?

Thanks in advance

~Jason~

Sambr

Classic sales trick :) - I have a friend that works in a camera store, and they can't keep D7000 on the shelf. The D7000 right now is the most sought after Nikon body.

Oomph

Well thats a nasty trick indeed. I suppose ill wait it out and grab me one. Has the random Focus issue been sorted out as of yet? Seems to be the most common issue i come across. Most of the Youtube vids are a year or better old. Thank you very much for the replys Gents. Or ladies, didnt mean any disrespect.

Last edited:

Sambr

Had mine since April -no complaints here, some of my shots with it are so sharp make my eyes bleed
Bumblebee-XL.jpg

gqtuazon

Gear Head
D7000 has two stops advantage over the D90, better AF, can handle or register non-chipped MF lenses, and has way better video. If that is not good enough justification, then I don't know what your priorities are or preferences on a camera.

Claudia!

you stated that you went to an outlet store. From my understanding, even regular stores such as best buy are having a hard time keeping them in stock. I would think that it would be even harder for an outlet store to have them in general or have them in stock often. He might of been looking for the sale that was guaranteed. I got my D7000 in Nov. The only issue I have had was the SD card error which was easily fixed through the software upgrade. If I were your friend, I would return it and look for a D7000. If they dont have it in that specific store location, ask if different locations have it. I live in Houston. Houston has tons of stores. There where only 4 D7000's in the entire Houston and surrounding areas. My local store did not have it. I had to travel 45 mns to pick it up. Trust me, the trip was worth it. I would do it again without hesitation. I would press the sales person for more details. Remember them and then research the reasons he gave you. I did my research for months. This forum helped me out so much. Good luck.

Browncoat

We've covered this topic a few different times here.

The D7000 has had some production problems. Faulty shutters, non working buttons, and/or grease on the inside of the lens are some common problems. This could be attributed to the fact that this is a new model and they haven't worked out all the kinks yet. I haven't read as many complaints about the D7000 lately, so perhaps these issues are a thing of the past.

As for the D90, it's a proven workhorse. Personally, if I were a camera salesman, I would steer customers towards the D90 as well.

crisscross

The D7000 probably isn't right for a newish DSLR user; there are a lot of settings and features extra to D80 which I have used for 4 years.

There are usually some very reasonably priced 2nd hand D80 s and they would be an excellent intro, the only problem being shortage of good used lenses as we keep them all!

There used to be guys who kept an old camera body to save lens changes, but there is too much difference in handling despite similar pedigree and physical size for that to be sensible

invaliduser

I recently purchased a D7000 to upgrade my D60.
I love it, money well spent. I have not found any faults with it either. The sales guy I talked had nothing but good things to say about the 7000 (though I didn't buy it from him, I had already had it and was looking for a Gitzo tripod but he noticed I had a D7000)

bluenoser

Banned
Hiya. names Jason and i Just joined this forum today looking for some deeper info on the d7000 ive been looking to get for a few months now. I went to the Henry's outlet store to compare the feel of a D90 and D7000 with my brother in law who was planing on getting the D7000, the salesman told us that that alot of people are returning the D7000 and exchanging it for a D90 because of to many faults/bugs, he didnt go into great detail about the issues ( most of them i cant even recall at this time ) but we ended up with a D90 after the rant from the salesman. Has anyone returned the D7000 for a D90?

Thanks in advance

~Jason~

Like Sam said it was probably just a sales tactic. However I'm quite open to the possibility that the salesperson was a complete idiot. :)

I was one of the first people in Toronto (through Henrys) to get a D7000. I ordered it on Sept. 15, 2010 (first day for pre-orders) and picked it up within an hour of it arriving in the store on Oct. 29. So I've had the D7000 for well over a year and notwithstanding my own photographic shortcomings, I've had zero issues with my D7000.

Last edited:

Oomph

@Crisscross The reason i went with the D7000 as my camera of choice was the fact it was way more then i would know what to do with being my first DSLR, i tossed around the idea of a D3100 but didnt want to be limited by a lesser camera knowing for a few hundred more dollars i could have a top of the ( "prosumer" i think the word is ) line camera that i can spend the next year or 2 learning everything i can, and being able to grow with my gear instead of outgrowing it. And i came into some cash that may not happen again, figured id use the old adage " go big or go home " . This of course could be just the excited noob in me clouding my judgement, Yall will have to look for a new thread in a couple months, either "Hay, look at my cool pics" or " D7000 for sale 25% off" c/w pic of the hole in the wall i will have made with my own head ;). Am i an idiot?

ccoulson

I have one of those faulty D7000s.... I just got it back yesterday from Nikon (One week turn around) to fix the back focusing issue. It seems to be working great!!, and the photos seem sharp!! I havent really had time to use it a bunch, but the photos just simply look better than they did before. I got the camera last september however, and it took me a while to really tell that there was a problem with it. I love this camera though, seriously, I wouldnt trade it. If this doesnt fix it, Ill just send it back again....

Hope this helps

crisscross

@Crisscross The reason i went with the D7000 as my camera of choice was the fact it was way more then i would know what to do with being my first DSLR, i tossed around the idea of a D3100 but didnt want to be limited by a lesser camera knowing for a few hundred more dollars i could have a top of the ( "prosumer" i think the word is ) line camera that i can spend the next year or 2 learning everything i can, and being able to grow with my gear instead of outgrowing it.... Am i an idiot?

Thats all fair enough, with the possible exception that by the time you have learn there will be a D8000! Or better still a D8000 without video + space between the controls and a D8000V.

BTW are folks aware that there is a firmware update to 'A' 1.02 & 'B' 1.03 if camera was issued with 1.01? It is best to be registered with Nikon customer support site for your region & have a sign-in. They are also very good with answering detailed questions if not already in the FAQ list

Carolina Photo Guy

@Crisscross The reason i went with the D7000 as my camera of choice was the fact it was way more then i would know what to do with being my first DSLR, i tossed around the idea of a D3100 but didnt want to be limited by a lesser camera knowing for a few hundred more dollars i could have a top of the ( "prosumer" i think the word is ) line camera that i can spend the next year or 2 learning everything i can, and being able to grow with my gear instead of outgrowing it. And i came into some cash that may not happen again, figured id use the old adage " go big or go home " . This of course could be just the excited noob in me clouding my judgement, Yall will have to look for a new thread in a couple months, either "Hay, look at my cool pics" or " D7000 for sale 25% off" c/w pic of the hole in the wall i will have made with my own head ;). Am i an idiot?

I want you to think about something. Neither Nikon, Canon, Pentax or even Hasselblad would be where they are if not for photographers.

You seem to be under the impression that if you get the best CAMERA, then you will become the best PHOTOGRAPHER.

Ansel Adams is considered a hellova photographer because he manipulated the image in the DARKROOM? Still NO!

He used his equipment, ALL of it to get the image that was in his mind's eye. There is his greatness. Today, he would be completely lost until

he learned his equipment again. Do ya see what I am getting at?

BWTHDIK

Stangman98

We've covered this topic a few different times here.

The D7000 has had some production problems. Faulty shutters, non working buttons, and/or grease on the inside of the lens are some common problems. This could be attributed to the fact that this is a new model and they haven't worked out all the kinks yet. I haven't read as many complaints about the D7000 lately, so perhaps these issues are a thing of the past.

As for the D90, it's a proven workhorse. Personally, if I were a camera salesman, I would steer customers towards the D90 as well.

Let me get this right...you would recommend a camera that isn't as good because there were some production issues? So would you recommend a shit box car over a BMW if the BMW had a couple of recalls? You logic is ridiculous!