Japanese pro sumo wrestlers

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I was able to attend a sumo wrestling during the premier event last Saturday. Fortunately, our sponsor had very close seats available for us. Here are some of the pictures that I took.

Fuji X10 with Nikon SB 800

X10 Sumo 027 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

1. Nikon D7000 + 70-200mm f2.8 @115mm, f3.2, 1/200, ISO 3,200

21Jan_Sumo_487.jpg

2. f3.5, 1/160, ISO 1000

21Jan_Sumo_535.jpg

3. f3.2, 1/125, ISO 1,250

21Jan_Sumo_658.jpg

4. f3.2, 1/160, ISO 720

21Jan_Sumo_612.jpg

5. f3.2, 1/200, ISO 2000

21Jan_Sumo_503.jpg

Attachments

• 21Jan_Sumo_658.jpg
    21Jan_Sumo_658.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 3,767
Last edited:

Mike150

I'm just curious if they have different weight classes. I can't imagine that the man on the right in the first photo can possibly compete with those pictured in the rest of the photos.

Eye-level

Banned
That is pretty cool...I can't believe you were able to take pictures. With the high regard for and almost religious like atmosphere of Sumo wrestling in Japan I thought they wouldn't allow such stuff but then again it is on tv all of the time...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm just curious if they have different weight classes. I can't imagine that the man on the right in the first photo can possibly compete with those pictured in the rest of the photos.

The skinny foreigner did actually well and the crowd really liked him. Most bigger guys tend to lose balance and if both hands touch the ground or the person gets out of the ring.

The skinniest wrestler weighs 98 kg.
The heaviest can go up to 196 kg.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That is pretty cool...I can't believe you were able to take pictures. With the high regard for and almost religious like atmosphere of Sumo wrestling in Japan I thought they wouldn't allow such stuff but then again it is on tv all of the time...

The ring is considered sacred. Only officials, wrestlers and staff personnel can enter the ring. Females are forbidden to enter the ring.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The NON-Japanese Sumo Wrestler is from the Fresian province of Holland, I think. He sure as hell isn't from Tokoyo!

There were several non-Japanese decent sumo wrestlers during the competition. The sponsors often gives cash prices that ranges upto several thousands during the 10 second fight. They get a quick advertisement by having their company's banner shown around the ring (similar to the ring lady).

Here are the other popular foreigners and former Yokozuna (champion).

21Jan_Sumo_742.jpg

21Jan_Sumo_743.jpg