24-70 f2.8 with OS/IS/VR?

simonhodge

I am looking at buying a 24-70 F2.8 to go along with my soon to purchase D700. I just noticed that whether i buy the Nikon, Sigma or Tamron versions on this lens none of the them have any form of vibration reduction. I would have a bit of a shake and prefer to have this feature. Can anyone suggest why they dont have VR/OS/IS or is it not really an issue. I know i can bump up the shutter speed but thats not always wanted in low light. I want one of these lenses for the fised wide ap and the quality. Maybe someone can recommend something else?

Thanks

Simon

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Simon. Vibration Reduction is generally more useful with longer lenses because you're probably focusing at a greater distance. If you think about the end of your lens to where you are focusing as a "cone", you can visualize how small movements effect sharpness while focusing at a distance. Even with VR, good technique and/or a tripod will result in the sharpest images. I use a Nikon 17-55 without concerns regarding VR.

fotojack

Hi Simon. Vibration Reduction is generally more useful with longer lenses because you're probably focusing at a greater distance. If you think about the end of your lens to where you are focusing as a "cone", you can visualize how small movements effect sharpness while focusing at a distance. Even with VR, good technique and/or a tripod will result in the sharpest images. I use a Nikon 17-55 without concerns regarding VR.

One should not use VR/OS/IR when mounted on a tripod. It defeats the purpose . It's just not needed on a tripod, and in some cases actually makes it worse. VR et al is for hand held shots.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
One should not use VR/OS/IR when mounted on a tripod. It defeats the purpose . It's just not needed on a tripod, and in some cases actually makes it worse. VR et al is for hand held shots.

Thanks for clarifying Monsieur.