Status
Not open for further replies.

ohkphoto

Snow White
6123178627_268309d3b7.jpg

(photo by Paris Wood)

The Faceless Self
Weekly Challenge: Jan 18 – Jan. 25

When asked to do a portrait or self portrait, the photographer’s first instinct is to frame a photo so that the subject’s face is the focal point. So much of who we are, think and feel is in our faces. Your challenge for the Week of Jan. 18 – Jan. 25 is to create a self-portrait where your face is not the focal point, i.e. your face is not part of the photo at all. Just to make it clear, your face cannot be visible in the photo, and I’m not talking about simply photoshopping or blurring it out! Your face cannot be a part of the composition. Compose/create your photo so that the viewer gets the same information from your “faceless self-portrait” that s/he would have gleaned if your face were part of the self-portrait.

Judging criteria: 75% creativity and 25% technique

Be sure to visit the Weekly Challenge Rules & Guidelines for more information. This thread will be closed on Jan. 25 (midnight EDT)...so get those photos in!

The Rules
1. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge.
2. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIF data can be verified, we will use the honor system here.
3. Challenges will be judged solely by the winner of the previous week. There will be no individual voting.
4. Only one photo entry per member, for each challenge.

There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator. This is a member-run contest, and the purpose of the Weekly Challenge is to encourage member participation on the forums and to keep you taking pictures!

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

Last edited:

fotojack

OK, maybe I'm a little dense, but I don't think so! Tell me how you take a "self portrait" without actually being in the portrait. This does NOT make any sense at all. Unless there is some serious clarification on this challenge, I, for one, will not be participating. These challenges are meant to be fun and instructive...not artsy fartsy.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Tell me how you take a "self portrait" without actually being in the portrait. This does NOT make any sense at all. Unless there is some serious clarification on this challenge, I, for one, will not be participating. These challenges are meant to be fun and instructive...not artsy fartsy.

The only part of you that can NOT be part of the portrait is your FACE . . . haven't you ever taken a photo of someone fishing by a stream with his back towards you? That's a portrait. the challenge doesn't specify "formal, studio portrait" The more popular "portraits" today are environmental --the subject in a natural surrounding. All you have to do is put yourself in an environmental setting and look away from the camera. Use a remote trigger or the camera's self-timer.

This is not difficult and not "artsy-fartsy" unless you want to make it so. Here's a link to the flickr group for a similar topic: Flickr: The Portraits without face Pool

Come on, Jack. Stretch your creativity a little. But by all means, if you don't find this fun, then don't participate.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Guys do a search on Google or whatever on "faceless self portrait". Don't do an image search, just search the results, there are some examples I have found but you have to dig. I would post an example, but I feel that is up to the person(s) who issued this challenge.

I for one WILL be as always participating in this challenge. If I remember correctly these challenges are fun, but were meant to push you out of your "comfort zone"

(Sorry, looks like me and Helene were posting at the same time)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Not that I understand

Can you be more specific about what you don't understand?

In the sample picture posted: assume the guy jumping is also the photographer. This is easy enough to set up as a "self-portrait". He sets the camera on self timer and jumps just before the camera snaps. Maybe needed more than try. I, as the viewer of this photo, am getting the following info based on setting and body language: he's a guy who loves the outdoors, where nature brings out the best in him, and is probably a happy and outgoing guy who's not afraid of expressing his feelings. That's what I take away from his "self-portrait".

So the question for you as photographer and subject of your photo, how do you want the viewer of your self-portrait to see you?

Carolina Photo Guy

Its kinda funny if you think about it.

The last time we had to do "self portraits" everyone bitched about having to show their faces.

Now, everyone's bitchin' about NOT showing their faces!

Is this a wonderful country or what? :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
THIS IS NOT FOR JUDGING and is not my entry. I just wanted to show Jack how easily it could be done. Of course it can be fancier and more as he said it "artsy".
Have fun!

faceless portrait example.jpg

fotojack

OK...first off, I was in an owly mood this morning. I got a little cranky and the challenge didn't make sense to me right off the bat. This gout is getting to me. Sorry.
Now that I understand what is required of this challenge, i will certainly participate.

Status
Not open for further replies.