Helpful Photography Links??

OnyxBunny

I'd be really happy to get some helpful & informative Photography websites, Blogs, YouTube accounts etc. To Inspire me & help me Learn as much as i can bc I know NOTHING right now~

Clayton

Around here if you want to really insult someone, you call them Ken Rockwell.

Even Harry Potter would not speak his name aloud!

Alright, let's get into this. I'm only a humble amateur photographer and new to the forum. So please explain to me what the man has done to anger the community? So far I've found his advice sound and his articles informative, granted again, I am only an amateur and have no where near the amount of years and experience as some of you. Is this another apple vs PC debate that dictate people choose a side?

Also, I certainly don't take his word and his word only as the photographic law, but I certainly use his advice when searching for a new lens or piece of equipment.

Side note, Harry Potter is a fictitious character sir:rolleyes:

Obir

Alright, let's get into this. I'm only a humble amateur photographer and new to the forum. So please explain to me what the man has done to anger the community? So far I've found his advice sound and his articles informative, granted again, I am only an amateur and have no where near the amount of years and experience as some of you. Is this another apple vs PC debate that dictate people choose a side?

Also, I certainly don't take his word and his word only as the photographic law, but I certainly use his advice when searching for a new lens or piece of equipment.

This is another like him / hate him thing. Some say he's helpful, some he's misleading.
I believe there's people in this form that are Facebook friends with him.
I admit I read some of his review on the d7000 before buying it, but did not send him $5.

Last edited:

Carolina Photo Guy

Okay, you want to get into it, lets dance.

First things first, Rockwell's "advice" is STRICTLY revenue based. It will change with the way the dollars flow.

You want good, consistent advice? Thom Hogan.

Secondly, you might want to try to develop a sense of humor.

Good luck with that. Slapping down people that try to help you is NOT that way to get any more help.

Have a nice day.

Clayton

Okay, you want to get into it, lets dance.

First things first, Rockwell's "advice" is STRICTLY revenue based. It will change with the way the dollars flow.

You want good, consistent advice? Thom Hogan.

Secondly, you might want to try to develop a sense of humor.

Good luck with that. Slapping down people that try to help you is NOT that way to get any more help.

Have a nice day.

Well its a good thing I've never given him a dime then! Other than the fact that he tries to direct traffic from his site to online retailers and get revenue is there anything else he falsely states regarding photography? Is he a liar, unexperienced? What? I'm genuinely curious! From what I gather he does reviews primarily.

I wasn't "slapping" you down sir. As is common in these forums, for new members especially, it takes a while to become aware of one's sarcasm and style of humor. I am sorry if you took mine the wrong way. I DID put a googly face at the end of my post.

I'm rather proud of my sense of humor...

PhotoAV8R

Other than the fact that he tries to direct traffic from his site to online retailers and get revenue is there anything else he falsely states regarding photography? Is he a liar, unexperienced? What? I'm genuinely curious! From what I gather he does reviews primarily.
Clayton,

Do a search here for Ken Rockwell and you'll find some pointed comment.

You will also find that, like most "other folk's" opinions, most of it is worth what you paid for it.

Pete's got a great sense of humor - it's just often perverted. He's one of my "Band of Brothers" and a great American.

BWTHDIK

Clayton

Clayton,

Do a search here for Ken Rockwell and you'll find some pointed comment.

You will also find that, like most "other folk's" opinions, most of it is worth what you paid for it.

Pete's got a great sense of humor - it's just often perverted. He's one of my "Band of Brothers" and a great American.

BWTHDIK

Boy did I do some searching on Mr. Rockwell, and I can now understand the boiling hatred some of the more seasoned photographers have for him. I'll remain neutral, but promise not to bring up his name again on here...unless in jest I suppose:)

fotojack

Mr. Rockwell (and I use the term "Mr. " quite loosely) is, at best, self serving. Hence the vitriol directed his way. :) While some of his "advice" is helpful, it is more often than not contradictory. It doesn't take novices and the naive long to realize his motivation is his own monetary enhancement. :)

Clayton

I accept that. I also undestand how his impact on the beginner might be a little overbearing and misleading. Luckily, most internet saavy people today research multiple sources, myself included.
:cool:

BTW, I want to issue a formal apology to virgo for seemingly taking over this thread....sorry!

Last edited:

OnyxBunny

I accept that. I also undestand how his impact on the beginner might be a little overbearing and misleading. Luckily, most internet saavy people today research multiple sources, myself included.
:cool:

BTW, I want to issue a formal apology to virgo for seemingly taking over this thread....sorry!

It's cool LOL