What's w/ the Nikon vs. Cannon ppl?? (Also 2nd Lens)

OnyxBunny

What's w/ the Nikon vs. Canon ppl?? (Also 2nd Lens)

Please tell me what's up w/ the Photographers that fight over Nikon & Canon, why do they keep saying "We're the best & the REAL photographers" etc? Also what is the DIFFERENCE!? Why did YOU choose Nikon & NOT Canon?

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I would get a 35 and a 50. Both are 1.8 aperture and will let you do portraits in low light.

As fas as Nikon vs Canon, quality wise they are about equal but the buttons layout are different and one can please some people more than the other. About the same difference with different car brands. Really hard to say which one is that much better, but easy to say which one one prefers.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
While I'm at it, is there a way you could rotate your avatar? I find it a little odd to have to twist my head to see your face.

RickSawThat

I'm old school and back in the day of Nikon F3's it was the same Nikon vs. Canon battle. Back then we thought Nikon had better lenses. Then autofocus came out and it seemed Canon ruled for better technology in AF at that time among the photographers I hung out with. At this point it's a matter of preference. Both have great sensors, controls and lenses. I still prefer Nikon glass so I go with that, but 50% of the people will disagree and prefer Canon.

Carolina Photo Guy

I prefer Nikon because very few people add the extra "K" while just about everyone seems to add the extra "N" to Canon!

Nikkon vs Cannon...

THAT just ain't right!! :confused:

kayte

I use Nikon more out of sentimentality- my mom had a Nikon years ago and she loved it, so I think I trusted her judgement. I'm not one of those that fights over Canon vs Nikon...I figure it is the same as Ford vs Dodge/Chev battle...no one is really better, its more preference but there are those that would beg to differ.

Eye-level

Banned
I use Nikon because Canon makes only one good prime lens maybe two and they are both old...I have owned a mint black Canonet QL17 once and it was an incredible rangefinder camera with a razor sharp fast lens...they are all about zooms and AF at which they are better I hate to say...98% of AP photographers use a Canon/zoom kit...but they just can't shake the F mount... :)

OnyxBunny

LOL, wow. I didn't really want ppl to see it, thats why I did it(sorry). When I flip it over it messes up the words & my face anyway

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Re: What's w/ the Nikon vs. Canon ppl?? (Also 2nd Lens)

The one thing that made Nikon win me over Canon ( I was shooting Canon for the Montreal olympics in 1976), is the fact that all Nikon F lenses can still be used on the modern DSLRs. Canon abandoned their old lenses. So, it said a lot about Nikon guys caring for us users on the long run.
Also, the flash commander within the camera for multiple flash users.

Rick M

I found canon's entry level DSLR to have a cheap plastic feel to it compared to the Nikon D3100. Same with the kit lens, the 18-55 Nikon seemed built better and was smoother compared to canon.

Clayton

I use Nikon because I like the logo better...and because when I used to shoot film I always used my Nikkormat more than my Canon AE-1, mostly because it was less banged up. Oh, and I love Nikon's VR tech:) This is a battle sure to never be won, you just have to pick a side I guess, like ford vs chevy, and playstation vs xbox. Few of us can afford to buy both of any of them!

Eye-level

Banned
I found canon's entry level DSLR to have a cheap plastic feel to it compared to the Nikon D3100. Same with the kit lens, the 18-55 Nikon seemed built better and was smoother compared to canon.

I actually held a D3100 today and I was astonished by how small it was...I didn't even bat an eye at the Canon offering...haha

fotojack

Well it's very simple really. Nikon is just better than Canon! So there! :) LOL Besides... you don't see a web site called canonites, do you? ;) I typed that into Google and this came up: "Services for this domain have been discontinued". LOL
I rest my case. :)

Last edited:

Just-Clayton

when i decided to get my nikon. I did a lot of research between the two. I looked to see what older lenses fit the newer cameras and hands down Nikon won. im using older prime lenses that are around 40 yrs old. couldnt do that with a Canon.

Rick M

I actually held a D3100 today and I was astonished by how small it was...I didn't even bat an eye at the Canon offering...haha

That was another deciding factor for me, highest quality in the smallest package. I also felt the controls had a more natural layout for use.

AxeMan - Rick S.

What's with the Ford vs. Chevy people? Same argument, we could debate both statements forever. It's still a car, and it's still a camera. Both produce the same end result.

For me growing up it was beat into my head that Nikon produces better glass than anyone else. I sit here writing this on the eve of ordering third party glass, so go figure.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
What's with the Ford vs. Chevy people? Same argument, we could debate both statements forever. It's still a car, and it's still a camera. Both produce the same end result.

Incorrect. A Chevy will get you there in style & without the wheels falling off.

j/k - a Dodge with a hemi motor will. It'll also attract classy women :)

JohnFrench

I can not suggest a lens as I am not that educated on those matters, but I do own a Nikon D3100 & a Canon T3. I like both of them very much, and alternate their use when I go out on photo trips. My photos are mostly buildings and street scenes with an occasional close-up shot of a building's architectural detail. They are both simple to use, and can also be used as an educational tool to advance anyone's photography skills if they care to. I am still waiting for the len's hood(s) to work their magic as "Chick Magnets" as was reported in another post. LOL

Last edited: