Best all around lens?

jonrags

I have the standard lense that came with my D3000 and I am looking to upgrade. I take a lot of nature shots, as well as a lot of bicycle racing shots as well. I will eventually have more than one extra lense I am sure, but just looking for one lense for now.

fotojack

Re: Best all around lense?

I have the standard lens that came with my D3000 and I am looking to upgrade. I take a lot of nature shots, as well as a lot of bicycle racing shots as well. I will eventually have more than one extra lens I am sure, but just looking for one lens for now.

What standard lens is that? The most common are the 18-55 and the 18-105. A good lens to get would be the 55-300 or the 70-300. Both are good for nature shots. If budget is not a concern, get a "fast" lens....such as the 300mm f2.8 lens. Otherwise, stick with what you have.
By the way, "lens" has no "e" at the end. :)

jonrags

Oops, and I know that too, I just can't get myself to not put the e on it.

My camera came with the 18-55. I borrowed a friends 70-300 the other day and I liked the shots I got with it, but wasn't sure if I liked that I had to focus with it or not. It was great for nature shots like this one of Mt Hood from the lot at Timberline
DSC_0202.jpg

But when I am taking pictures at bike races it wouldn't be as great

fotojack

I disagree. Depending on where you're standing, it's a great lens for fast moving shots. Just shoot in Shutter Priority and 100 ISO outdoors. I use a 55-300 lens for motorcycle racing shots, so I don't imagine you'd have any problems shooting bicycles. :)
Of course, it would have to be an AF-S lens to work on your camera for Auto Focus.

RickSawThat

I probably us my 70-300mm VR AFS lens more than the others I own but I like to zoom in on things. For all around I have a 18-200mm VRII. I have read lots of comments about the sharpness not being great on that particular lens but I get very crisp shots with mine. If I could only carry one lens it would be the 18-200mm VRII.

BTW I have bought all the equipment I use from Craigslist used but only in pristine condition.

Last edited:

fotojack

Ask a dozen different people and you'll get a dozen different answers on the "best" all around lens. It's a very subjective topic. Everyone has different reasons for their choices. Some regard the weight of the lens as an issue, others it's the quality and sharpness. Still others consider convenience. Some people consider their budget as a criteria. All valid reasons, so pragmatically speaking, the choice is ultimately yours to make. Determine your criteria for an all around lens, and you, too, will select a lens that suits your style.

Me.....I like the 18-105mm VR lens. It suits ME. :)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
One advantage of Aperture, Lightroom, or other cataloging applications is the ability to go back and see which lens you used the most. What I found is that I use my 17-55 the most by a wide margin. When I looked at when I used the 18-200 it was in situations (tours, family gatherings, rain, etc.) where it would have been inconvenient or impractical to changes lenses. It has also made me look at images where I should have used a different, usually faster, lens.