New to Nikon

Madphotogirl

So I've used other brands before but I'm coming to Nikon with the hopes of being able to use a bunch of lenses. I have ordered my D5100 and I'm excited but now I am finding out it will only AF with a few of the AF lenses. It's sort of a bummer because some of the lenses I wanted are just AF and not AF-S. Anyone use the D5100 with lenses that you manually have to focus? Is it worth the frustration to buy the AF lenses then to use on this camera?

fotojack

Your particular model has no internal focus motor, therefor in order to use Auto Focus (AF) you need AF-S lenses. Having said that, you can still use AF and AI lenses in Manual Mode.

Clayton

Once you work in manual mode for a while you will stop caring if there is AF or not. I've used both the 50 and 35mm fully manual, if you're taking action shots you may miss it a bit more. Just get a few core lenses and go from there. There are plenty of great AF-S lenses to cover every range you'd want. Happy shooting and I hope you enjoy the D5100, I slept with mine for the first few nights.....I kid;)