Sb-910

Stangman98

Has anyone shot with it yet? I am renting one for the race that I am shooting next month and wanted to see if anyone has gotten to use it yet.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Somehow I could never get my SB 900 to overheat. I did a stress test for 2 minutes with newly charged eneloop batteries; using the test button as soon as the ready light was illuminated, I never reached the flash to overheat. It might help out if you use ISO 400 instead of ISO 100 and minimize using f8.

One of the forum member conducted a test using two seperate sets of batteries which includes the immedion and powerex 2700mah. The powerex started to overheat after 42 consecutive shots as soon as the ready flash indicator was lit. The Immedion batteries reached thermal shutdown after 50 consecutive shots. Recycle rate is 2.3 seconds with the SB 900.

I don't know how demanding your flash photography requires but if you stay within the recommended flash rate, you shouldn't have any problem even for wedding photographers.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
FWIW: articles from Joe McNally: A New Flash…. « Joe McNally’s Blog

Here is what Thom Hogan wrote on his blog about the SB 910.

"SB-900 RIP, SB-910 To the RescueNov 29 (news and commentary)--Nikon today replaced the SB-900 with the SB-910. The primary change? Instead of shutting down when thermally challenged, the new version will slow down instead. Other changes include replacing the Zoom button with a Menu button, and the addition of two hard plastic fllters instead of gel. The plastic casing has been ever so slightly reshaped, but I don't see this as as a meaningful change--the new flash is still as big and bulky as its predecessor. Nikon also changed the LCD, which they describe as an improvement, though in early press photos it seems less contrasty (perhaps due to the use of backlighting)."

Last edited by a moderator:

MrKelso

I fired about 140 shots with my SB-910 with no problems at all. Approx 15 minutes to fire 140 shots of the kids. My SB-900 would heat up and stop when ever i did this same kind of shooting.

Joohn

Yesterday got the brand new sb-910. I have yet to test the equipment. This is the first time I am gonna use speed light. Going through lot of tutorials, etc. If anyone here can suggest any links it would be really great. Will keep this thread updated with sb-910 clicks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joohn

The first click with SB910

17.jpg