D800 PreSale

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Beware, these are ONLY RUMORS !

Until there is an official Nikon press conference or announcement, such product does NOT exist.

Please stop spreading these.

Stangman98

Until there is an official Nikon press conference or announcement, such product does NOT exist.

Spreading what? The fact is that there are shop taking orders on these. This was not my order as I have no use for a D800. Everyone knows that the D800 will be announced in the next month or two so that it's out before the Olympics. It's geared towards sports photography. And if you notice when you type in D800 in place of D3 or any other in the URL it reverts to the same page. Nikon Germany might have already leaked a photo of it too.

Such product does not exist? You are kidding right? You understand there are already photographers out there with D4's & D800's working out the bugs for Nikon? They don't just make this stuff and then sell it. I bet the D4 has been in the field for at least a year already.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

I couldn't get Nikon to confirm it in person (they won't tell or hint at anything) but I'm pretty sure it's coming soon. :)

3Ring

Houston Camera Exchange is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) camera shop in Houston. I live in Mexico City, but I'm from Houston and I've spent plenty at that place. I called and spoke to them about this story. They are taking pre-orders for a $500 deposit which can be canceled and fully refunded. They have no idea when they'll receive the cameras. They won't take a deposit by cc over the phone and no shipping - in store pick up only.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Wow...guess I was right

I guess you were. But only your speculations were right. I'm not trying to play smart here, but I try not to get into rumors. I find they are sometimes sales gimmick in order to make
us salivate and want to have the product that will only be available in a few months.

It's funny though as I see pre-owned D700 on sale in local ads on internet. Seems there is a strong desire for the 800. But until I see one and can take it in my hands, I'm not going to buy one.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
D800 and my ex-D700
Nikon D800 with D700 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

When you say your "EX" Glenn, does that mean that you have a D800 in your possession now? Or have you just committed to get one? Have you sold your 700 already?
I just missed a D700 this afternoon with the grip and 2 batteries for 1,500 canadian dollars… By the time I called the guy back after 20 minutes on internet, it was already sold.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I did sold my D700 and 24-120mm f4 lens. I turned it over today with my co-worker. I asked to use it at the convention so that I can compare it against the D800. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to insert our memory cards.

That is a good bargain for $1,500 CAD. Total actuation for mine was around 25k. I do have the cash already for a D800E but the D4 is still on my head, whispering silently in the background. :eek:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I did sold my D700 and 24-120mm f4 lens. I turned it over today with my co-worker. I asked to use it at the convention so that I can compare it against the D800. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to insert our memory cards.

That is a good bargain for $1,500 CAD. Total actuation for mine was around 25k. I do have the cash already for a D800E but the D4 is still on my head, whispering silently in the background. :eek:

So when can you actually have the D800 in your possession in Japan? Is it a question of weeks or months? I'm just trying to figure out how long it will take to actually get it here in stores.
And what are you going to do in the meantime? Won't you miss the 24-120? I thought you really liked that lens...