D7000 and baby's first photo in delivery room, 35mm or zoom?

tokyo

Hello,

The situation I need to photograph with my D7000: We are expecting a baby so baby's first photograph in the delivery room, mom holding baby, etc.

One question - will my 35mm be sufficient or should I have a longer lens, like a 24-70, or which one would you recommend? I'm not looking to spend much money on a second lens as I was wanting to learn with a prime but I suppose I will eventually need a longer lens so I am wondering if I should get it now.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Re: D7000 and babes first photo in delivery room, 35mm or zoom?

(corrected the title for you)

If I were you I would go with something that can zoom. With the 35mm you're not always going to have the right perspective with people running around the delivery room. Although the 35mm may be better with lower light (depending on the light in the room).

Check out the 18-55 kit lens or 18-105 if you don't want to spend a lot.

fotojack

As jdeg suggests, the 18-55 or the 18-105 would be my choice, too...the 18-105 being the one I'd go for. Great all around lens for the money.

gemini555

18-55 should be plenty in a closed room...I would attach a external flash and bounce the light off the ceiling for a more even spread...of course it depends on whether any kind of flash is allowed...if not then a 18-55 or 18-105mm will be plenty!!!

Blacktop

18-55 should be plenty in a closed room...I would attach a external flash and bounce the light off the ceiling for a more even spread...of course it depends on whether any kind of flash is allowed...if not then a 18-55 or 18-105mm will be plenty!!!
This "baby" is now 2 and a half years old. I think they left the delivery room by now. LOL

Panza

Spent hours at a hospital waiting for my nephew to be born once upon a time, brought both lenses 35mm prime and 18-105 kit lens. By the time the bun came out of the oven, I ended up using the 35mm. The baby was born at night, the lights were dimmer all around. I did not use flash because new born babies and the mother was not feeling well.