Noise in FINE Jpeg, perfect in Normal and Basic?

Kubrick

Hey,

I've shot about 2,000 pictures so far with my new Nikon D3100 with 18-55 kit lens. I've found a terrible amount of noise in FineJpeg setting. If I change the setting to Normal or Basic and leave all the other settings the same, the pictures are crystal-clear, with no noise whatsoever. Reason?

Mike150

Just a guess here Kubrick, but if you're shooting in Auto or any of the other preset modes then you'll need to turn off Auto ISO.

I had this problem a while back, and found that the camera was automatically setting the ISO to 3200 and higher. That was way too high for my sensor.
I'm sure the "Experts" here (and there are a lot of good ones). can explain it better, but check your manual on how to turn off Auto ISO

Just-Clayton

Same problem. didnt have auto iso off and i got a great pic of my niece. but when i cropped it in it was noisy. found it had shot auto iso at 1000.

Kubrick

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help. I did shoot about 10-15 pictures with auto-ISO, but i turned it off immediately. Eversince, I set the ISO manually. I'll post a picture later. It's in Aperture mode, I think the ISO is about 200-400, shot during daytime in the woods in Autumn.

fotojack

Mile is exactly right. Turn off Auto ISO. Depending on available light and contrast of the subject, the camera will select a high ISO depending on what it "sees".

airman85b

I'm a rookie to DSLRs but I have a book and it said never to take pics in Jpeg. Do it in RAW or RAW+Jpeg if you really need Jpeg. With RAW you can edit it a lot more on photo software.

fotojack

Never is a pretty strong word. :) When shooting pics to post to a website or a forum, or if you're just shooting family pics or holiday snapshots, nothing wrong with jpeg, If you know you're going to have to process the shots a lot, then by all means shoot RAW. It all depends on what you want to do with the shots. The ultimate decision is always yours to make. There are no absolutes in photography. There are so many variables when it comes to photography that it makes it almost impossible to quantify.

In short, don't sweat over it. Shoot in whatever format you want. :)

Rick M

I shot all my inlaws in jpeg, I know I'm not going to try and make them look better with post processing!

Why waste the memory space! :)