40mm??

Just-Clayton

am looking at getting 40mm for use as a portrait and macro lense. i already own 24mm,28mm, and a 50mm manual lenses. they work great for me as portrait also. depending on what i want to shoot.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
On DX, I'd pick the 60 instead of the 40. The 40 might be a little short for good face perspective on DX.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
On DX, I'd pick the 60 instead of the 40. The 40 might be a little short for good face perspective on DX.

I agree with Marcel. The "classic" portrait focal length on full frame is 90mm so the 60mm would probably be a better choice. Another option is to just step a bit closer with your 50mm.

Eye-level

Banned
40mm is a good FL...it also fits in very nicely with the range you currently have. My deal with focal lengths has always been this - I wear glasses and have poor vision. I find that anything wide angle and up to 50mm are harder for me to focus. 85mm and 105mm and above are much easier for me to deal with. I chalk that up to my poor vision.

85 and 105 are the ideal portrait lenses from a legacy perspective and I believe on a DX camera the focal length isn't necessarily multiplied it (the perspective) stays the same...eg a 50mm is still a 50 an 85 is still an 85 the crop factor is what is different...