Will a DSLR get damaged by rough travel?

greenie

I'd like to pack the D3100 in the motorcycle saddlebag. The ride will be dry and clean but there are bumps and vibrations. My Pentax ME Super took rough travel well, will this DSLR stand up as well?

Rick M

Make sure it's in a well padded case to reduce vibration as much as possible, perhaps some extra soft foam in with it also. I would be a little more careful with a DSLR, it has more electronic componets.

Marine1937

Hello Greenie,
I often worried about this. I too ride a lot and have taken my D5000 with a couple of lens and a flash unit on several long trips. I have a Road King with hard bags and haven't had any issues. I carry the camera, lens, and flash in a small Nikon bag and make sure it's packed tight. I also make sure the camera bag is packed tight in the saddlebag to limit movement, wrapped in sweatshirts, jackets, whatever.
I suspect that vibration is not a good thing, but I haven't had any issues yet.
Enjoy the ride and be safe out there ... it's not the destination, it's the journey.

Clayton

There's a fantastic thing I just discovered the other day called "camera armor" and most online retailers like B&H, Abes of Maine, and even amazon carry it. Might be worth looking into if you travel a lot. I placed a link at the bottom there if any care to check it out.
Amazon.com: camera armor

greenie

I had a Sony Hi-8 camcorder damaged just from the vibrations in an overhead cabinet on a flight across the US... It was repaired, but it never was quite the same again. Thanks for the responses, I'll pack it carefully and give it a try.

Watoh

Mountain biking on baked dirt today with my camera bag strapped to the back of my pannier rack, with my D600 & 3 lenes i suddenly got quite paranoid about this. My camera bag is a rucksack, but damn its hot on my back..much easier cycling with it strapped to the back.. but... it takes a lot of vibration off road.. maybe not a good idea.

AC016

Just think about what those cameras go through coming from Thailand! Certainly not the smoothest of journeys ;)