Opinion about Nikkon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED

Bastian Jose

Hi, Friends
I just bought myself a Nikon D3100 with the standard 18-55mm VR lenses , Now am planning buy my second lens a better Zooming one like( Nikkon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED) .... Do any one using it ??? Howz its opinion about it ...?? Or any one have any other better option than it .. :)
Thanks

LensWork

I have used the lens, and the images were quite good. What I did not care for was the plastic construction and the not so smooth zoom; it was kind of "sticky". That being said, I am comparing it to my pro-grade Nikkors which cost several times as much. For the price, it is as probably as good as you can get.

Clayton

If you're just starting out with the 3100 and haven't had much chance to try out many zoom lenses I would also suggest the 55-300mm. Its half the cost and a very good, sharp, and moderately fast lens. I use it to take pictures of wildlife all the time. Check my profile and click on my "homepage" link for my webshots album. All of my zoo pictures were taken with this lens:)

evan

Banned
the 70 -300 g if ed vr, (not the dx), is a great lens for the money. mine is pin sharp through its range, needs good light to get the best out of the long end. i have used it for bird photography at short to medium distance and have been more than pleased with it. many other people speak highly of it too.

Flickin cool

From looking at both while shopping I do think the tamron has it over the nikon auto focus as that feels clunky but I couldn't decide so thought I'd wait and see,

Rick M

A few things I do when stuck between two similar lenses:

-Read all the pro and user reviews you can find.
-You may find user reviews from folks that have owned BOTH lenses, these are the most valuable reviews.
-Go to flicker and search each lens. You can look at thousands of user images from each lens. This helps me allot.
-Remember most people like what they own. I'm gonna tell you the Nikon 70-300vr is the best choice under $600 :).
-In most cases, Nikon has a higher resale value than third party lenses, if you don't like it, you can usually sell it for at least 3/4 of what you paid.

Good Luck!