Backpack solution

polyneux

So I just got ahold of a Nikon D3100 and have been taking a lot of pictures with it.

The only problem is now that I've started University again for the Spring semester its too cumbersome to carry the shoulder bag it came with and everything else I have to carry.

I am imagining a backpack that isn't too obtruse (Like the full on hiking, four thousand traps and metal frame) that can carry the Camera and lens, along with some school books and a netbook.

This has been difficult to source, I found several that look good but usually the camera section detaches to carry other things.

The "daybag" solution from several companies seems the perfect fit;

This bag has three main sections, the section for the camera on the bottom, the section above that for "personal effects and accessories" and a laptop section in the back.

The personal effect section is supposed to hold things like a sweater or an apple or whatever pens and filters or notepads or whatever, and the laptop your laptop of course.

My line of thinking is that my 8" Aspire One will fit in the bottom of this "personal effects pouch" leaving me space to put a notebook or two in the laptop compartment. Most of my schoolbooks are about the size of a netbook so I would carry them above the laptop etc.

The city I live in doesn't really have a dedicated camera store, the Best Buys and whatnot don't have anything that intense.

So my question is does anyone have any idea of a bag that might suit me? Or have experience with the daybags from Tamrac or Kata etc. and an idea of what I'm trying to do...will it work?

Of course the other option is obtaining some sort of padding or something and doing it myself with a OTR pack...

Browncoat

There are a lot of bags out there that will suit your needs. Lowepro, Crumpler, Domke, and Kata in particular have some very nice camera/laptop backpacks. The D3100 is a small camera, so you shouldn't have any limitations there. The biggest deciding factor will be how large your laptop is.

cbgold

i use a National Geographic Medium Walkabout rucksack that i really like. Has a laptop compartment with plenty of room for my tablet. Can hold my D3100 with 2 lenses and sb700 flash. Seperate compartment for a couple of books. I teach at a local college and this outfit works well for me.