DIY Light and stand

fotojack

Put this together the other day, using a 150 watt CLS bulb in an aluminum reflector. Your thoughts....better ideas...etc.

DSC_0542.JPG

DSC_0543.JPG

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
What kind of light does it produce? Find something to photograph and use the new light to light it. Then tell us what you think and we'll tell you what we think. :)

Ruidoso Bill

That will throw some light! My lightset largest bulb is 85w. I think using one of the smaller umbrellas would soften the light and make it more even. I have seen them on the auction sites and they aren't very expensive.

Did you make the stand or adapt it from something else?

Congrats on a nice looking effort.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Jack I have a similar set up. I use clip on lights attached to two old tripods that I don't normally use and have a third set up over my table, trying to mimic a three light set up.

The clothespins are use to hold in place deflectors or I will put paper in front of the lights to soften them up a little. Because the lights I use run so cool I can put plain paper in front of them and not worry about starting them on fire, however keeping safety in mind I don't leave them on for a long time just in case.

Another Nikonite who is a strobist recommended the Daylight 6500k bulbs. The 6500K will help with your white balance and I have been told it is a purer white light. I have found this to be true. As for the wattage on the lights I just guess at it.

I would play around with this more and maybe get a set of lights at a lower wattage or put dimmer switches on each lamp to control the lighting a little more, but I'm look to pick up two more Speedlights in the coming weeks and feel no need to take this any further than I have.

Clip on light.jpg

Light and stand

3 light setup.jpg

3 light set up (the fourth is turned off when shooting)

Lights.jpg

Light bulbs

No Edit raw to JPG.jpg

RAW File (Converted to JPG for post)

JPG from Camera.jpg

JPG from Camera no editing

After LR and CS5.jpg

RAW flie after Lightroom and CS5 adjustments

Capture.JPG

EXIF
f/36 was used to get more DOF for this shot

fotojack

Rick, that's exactly the kind of light I'm using, except it's a 150 watt bulb. It's also the same clip on type fixture I use, except I took off the clip part and just adapted it to an old light stand I have. I'm thinking of getting another fixture and an 85 watt bulb to make up a two light system.
You can see in these pictures where I've taken off the spring clip and just attached it to a rubber piece I slipped over the top section of this light stand.

DSC_0135.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0134.JPG
    DSC_0134.JPG
    394.7 KB · Views: 791

fotojack

What kind of light does it produce? Find something to photograph and use the new light to light it. Then tell us what you think and we'll tell you what we think. :)

It's a nice natural daylight type, Marcel. I'll take a picture of something tonight and post it up to show you what kind of output I get from it, and what effect it has on the photo.

Before and after shots ...with light and without. I can clearly see the difference.

With:
DSC_0136.JPG

Without:
DSC_0137.JPG

Browncoat

This is awesome, Jack!

My only suggestion is that you might want to add some sort of deflector around that light. Seems like it would be difficult to control the direction of the lighting with such a small dish.

fotojack

This is awesome, Jack!

My only suggestion is that you might want to add some sort of deflector around that light. Seems like it would be difficult to control the direction of the lighting with such a small dish.

Thanks, Tony. Yeah, I have to figure out some kind of deflector or reflector to control the light. I'm in no rush, though, so I have time to give it some thought.

Carolina Photo Guy

Picture this...

4 squares of styrofoam cut to form a pyramid with the peak removed so it will fit easily into the reflector assembly.

Use clear paintable silicone to join the 4 pieces of styrofoam together.

Paint the inside of the styrofoam with chrome spray paint

Use velcro to attach to the bowl over the light bulb.

This should not cost more than about $10.00 to build and it should dramatically increase the reflected light.

BWTHDIK??? :)