Date Format

Pierro

Hi, is it possible to change the date format in settings so it reads the English way ? EG 10/1/12 instead of what i see at the moment which is 1/10/12 ?

Thanks !

fotojack

If I was to verbalize today's date, I would say it January 10th, 2012. Therefore, that's the way I would write it...1/10/2012. However, if you were to verbalize it as the 10th of January, 2012, then it would follow that you would write it as 10/1/2012. Both are correct. It's just a matter of what is commonly used in your country. I personally wish it was standardized world wide. It would make it much easier to read. To me, it makes more sense to use the month/date/year format, as it follows the first number sequence of the months of the year, such as 1/10/2012, 2/10/2012,3/10/2012 and so on. This way, you KNOW it starts with the month and not the other way around. As for changing it here............I don't think so.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Put as a former programmer, I want to ensure sort order and write dates as YYYY MM DD. . . .

Pierro

If I was to verbalize today's date, I would say it January 10th, 2012. Therefore, that's the way I would write it...1/10/2012. However, if you were to verbalize it as the 10th of January, 2012, then it would follow that you would write it as 10/1/2012. Both are correct. It's just a matter of what is commonly used in your country. I personally wish it was standardized world wide. It would make it much easier to read. To me, it makes more sense to use the month/date/year format, as it follows the first number sequence of the months of the year, such as 1/10/2012, 2/10/2012,3/10/2012 and so on. This way, you KNOW it starts with the month and not the other way around. As for changing it here............I don't think so.

I guess its just what we're all used to wherever we are - not a problem

fotojack

Put as a former programmer, I want to ensure sort order and write dates as YYYY MM DD. . . .

There's always someone who wants to be contrary. :) Putting the year first or last, you're still putting the month first in your example. Makes sense either way, doesn't it? :) I'll bet dollars to donuts that you don't verbalize it that way. Be honest.......when was the last time you actually said 'Yeah, it's 2012, January 10th today'. :)

Pierro

I know here, if i was asked what the date was, i'd reply ' 10th of Jan ' , which i guess isnt very different to replying ' Jan 10th '

Easy enough to get used to :)

fotojack

I know here, if i was asked what the date was, i'd reply ' 10th of Jan ' , which i guess isnt very different to replying ' Jan 10th '

Easy enough to get used to :)

aHA! As Sherlock Holmes would say, therein lies the rub..".easy enough to get used to". :) It's all in what each of us grows up with and gets used to. I rest my case. :)