Wide angle lens for D3100

Sagar

Please suggest me some ultra wide angle lenses(nikon/non-nikon, fisheye) goes well with D3100. I've 18-55mm and 55-200 mm lenses, but really missing a good wide angle lens for capturing a big statue, interiors, closeup objects etc. Plz suggest one ...

Rick M

Two very popular ones are the Tokina 11-16 and Nikon 10-24. Personally I am leaning towards the Nikon since it will autofucus on the D3100, the Tokina will not.

Boomer

I was interested in a wide angle but didn't want to spend the considerable cash for one as an amateur. I ordered the Neewer 0.45x 52mm Wide Angle Lens for $12 (!) and they also have a fish eye for the same price. It screws onto your existing lens like a filter. The reviews on Amazon were pretty good. I figure it's a way to experiment with wide angle and fish eye to see how much I'd use it before dropping lots and lots of bucks on a dedicated lens.

Just-Clayton

i got lucky and was given 3 wide angle manual lenses. i use the vivatar 24mm quite a bit. very crisp. i got lucky because these people had these lenses tucked away and never used in yrs. they went ahead and gave them to me and said put them to good use.

Stevemax

Not really Wide Angle,74 Degees, but just got a (Prime 28mm 2.8) off the Bay. Vintage ,early 80's. Totally manual. $40.00 & delivers cool pix.IMHO

Last edited:

markD90

sigma 10=20 is a popular landscape lens! sharp and i love mine! i had one of these filter attachments on my D50 with 18=55 kit lens and it wasnt great at all! very soft images!
suppose you get what you pay for really!!!

markD90

why buy the 28mm which is narrower than the 18=55mm kit lens you already have? as a prime on your cropped sensor its actually a 42mm lens equiverlant! dobt get me wrong....... its a good lens ,but not an ultra wide angle!

Eye-level

Banned
Wide angle is sort of the bain of digital crop cameras...

I would suggest an old 24/2.8 nikkor as opposed to the 28/2.8...excellent lens and cheap...

crazyxc2448

Well the reason im asking is because i found it and the guy doesn't want very much for it so from what u all are saying its a good lens but not very wide :/

markD90

fisheye is an aqcuired taste! i had one of these and never really used it! but thats not to say you might use it all the time!
the 24mm you suggest would make a great portrait lens as the dof is shallow! or plants/flowers!

Sagar

Well, thank you so much for all your comments and suggestions.

@Boomer
, Could you please post few sample snaps taken with the Neewer wide angle adapter?

I am considering AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED for my D3100, but in future I have plan to upgrade the body to FX format, and I am concerned if the investment would be worthy.