Taking pics of LED lights

ajolie11

Hi I have a problem ... I got the d5100 after setting up a photo website for family and friends to view mainly.... People saw pics I took and liked them ... Unfortunately I'm more a I see something I like or can visualise something and take the picture ... So rather than really being technical and knowing how to use the camera properly to get my end shot I more ... Wing it I suppose ...

Anyway I've just started a new job and the boss has asked me to do him a favour and take some photos of the companies led lights (We manufacture led lights for warehouse and offices) on their own and fitted in the warehouse to show their performance against old fitted fluorescent tubes...

So people I need to know whats the best setting to use my camera on to show the LED lights potential ... And is flash better to use or not ... I know u really must sound like a right idiot ... Just short on time too as its Tuesday 10th jan I have to attempt this ....

Thanks for any advice ...

X x

Carolina Photo Guy

Re: Can anyone help???

DO NOT USE FLASH!!! It will probably overcome the brightness of the LEDs and just show bulbs with LED stalks. Try using a tripod and a slow shutter speed.

JMTCW :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Re: Can anyone help???

Like what Pete said. Set camera on tripod, set in manual mode, probably 10 secs f8, ISO 400 or so. Play with the shutter and see what works best. Look at the other websites that sells LED lights just to give you a better idea.

On the other hand, the boss should compensate you for using your own personal camera. :)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I would recommend you also get familiar with the camera more and read the manual. This way if something doesn't turn out the way you want then you'll know how to correct it.

Clayton

I also have the D5100 and have recently been experimenting with slow shutter speeds involving capturing light trails in total darkness. I've also experimented with low-light fiber optics and LEDs and I can concur with the above posts that a slow shutter speed certainly works best(try from about 1/50 and work up from there to see what works well). I always use manual mode and work with ISO ranging from 400 to 640. A tripod will be extremely useful and you may want to play with the focusing options, I like single-servo AF the best for lighting. You can also set your D lighting a little lower to make the lighting really pop. This is probably late information, but if you want to discuss the D5100 more in-depth at any time feel free to shoot me a message and I'll try my best to help.

Patrick M

If you're taking pictures for the company web set, then why don't you shoot a short video instead....that way your customers can see the LEDs in action, and you can display the various flash patterns too.

ajolie11

Thank u all for ur advice .... Do quick like the video idea too... It's now this Tuesday coming they want me to give it a go as had to wait on the permission from certain top dogs at the various companies we've installed at ... So thanks again ... Also I'll bear that in mind Clayton thanks :) ...x