About to buy...

oldsalt

Hi guys,
I'm thinking about a D7000 - mainly for micro photography, and I understand that I can use the AI "older" lenses...is this correct, anybody have any experience with these lenses on this camera ?
I'm a big fan of good old fashioned "manual" focus, any comments/advise/recommendations gratefully received.
thanks.

evan

Banned
hi,i have been getting into macro with the d7000 and d90. i use the tamron 90, micro nikkor af-d 60mm, sigma 150 macro and the nikon af-d 50mm f1.8 with the raynox dcr250. even the built in flash works at minimum distance. the d7000 is a great camera. dont let people with issues put you off as a lot of the time they expect perfect results with minimum effort. you need to take a little bit of time to get to know it, have fun!

Last edited:

oldsalt

Thanks for your encouragement, geting the D7000 tomorrow - I have a friend who already has one so I borrowed his instruction book and have begun to familiarise myself with some of it's features, and I have found a nice used AIs Nikkor 105mm micro so it'll be added to the "stable" very soon. Looking forward to getting my hands on it - a bit like waiting for Christmas when I was a kid !!!!

evan

Banned
nice choice of lens. i would use the d7000 in single point AF-S to start. it will help avoid so called issues. enjoy!

oldsalt

O.K. - I bought a 55mm 2.8 Micro-Nikkor (AIS), and a 35mm DX 1.8G, now I'm considering a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 for some architectural type shots, any thoughts on the Tamron ? what do you think ??? I had some "Tamrons" years ago (back when cameras had film in them) and I found them to be pretty good.

evan

Banned
make sure you try it out first. i bought the tamron 11-18mm last year, and, while distortion levels were good, image quality was rather poor. lack of sharpness, muted colours and an unacceptable amount of white fringing around the edges of the subject. my worse lens purchase ever! 17mm may not be wide enough for architecture. i would go for the nikon 12-24, or the tokina equivalent. nothing against tamron lenses as i have the 90mm macro and love it.

gfinlayson

The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-IS is a very good lens and optically superior to the newer stabilised version. As evan says, 17mm isn't very wide on a DX body. The Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 may be a better choice.

oldsalt

Here's a shot of a bee in my backyard ... hand held, I've still got a lot to learn about this camera - but it's fun :)
bee small.jpg

oldsalt

It was cropped from a photo taken with my f1.8 35mm "standard" lens, f4 @ 250th sec ISO 180.
I'm just snapping away at anything that moves - and some that don't - learning all the while.
cheers