Neewer battery grip..

robinchun

I'm thinking of getting a 3rd party battery grip for my D3100, made by Neewer, anyone have any experience of this make or battery grips in general..things like removing the battery cover and using the sync lead bug me slightly..

Robin

AxeMan - Rick S.

I have a Opteka grip on my D3000 and a Zeikos grip on my D90. Both are made out of plastic. I have never had any trouble with either grip for the past 2 years or so.

How ever I have had troubles with the non OEM batteries that came with the Zeikos grip on my D90. They are cheap and don't last and don't hold much of a charge.

If your thinking about a grip spend the money and get a set of the Nikon batteries.

As for the battery door, I felt the same way the first time I did it, now it's second nature to take it them on and off if needed.

Open you battery door about half way and give it a little pull at the angle it is at, it will pop out just like a tooth, to put it back on position it at the same angle and slide it back in.

One nice thing about the grips, you can store your removed battery door cover inside the grip so you never lose it.

That my experience with third party grips so far.

Will V|Photography

I have the Zeikos and it's probably the best $30 I've spent on this camera. The battery door is super easy to take off and put on, though I never take my grip off. The D3100 is a bit small for my hands and this grip makes it so much easier and comfortable to handle, and the extra battery life is a definite plus. It adds some weight but I liked that as well. Makes me feel like I'm holding a real camera and not some toy. The sync cord is a slight bother though after the first week you hardly notice it. I got a deal off eBay for the grip and an extra Nikon battery (as well as a cheap tripod and some other nick-nacks) from Cameta Camera. I initially had an issue with the sync cord but Cameta sent me a new one and all has been well ever since. The locking wheel is a little loose in its space but the grip never comes loose. I usually push the wheel in the lock direction every time I use the camera (kind of second-nature at this point) but it is never loose, I just do it to ease my own mind. I'd say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

*This is a review on the Zeikos grip. I have no experience with the Neewer grip, unless it's the same one with a different name on it.