pros and cons of the D700

DaveKoontz

I've owned my D700 now for over a year and am constantly amazed by it's many features, versatilty, and quality. It's truly a Professional level camera and at a reasonable price. If I had an issue with the camera, it would be a complaint regarding the battery grip. It only has one slot for a battery, the second battery is
in the camera's battery chamber. Why is this an issue? You have to remove the grip whenever you need to charge both batteries. Not overwhelming, just a pain in the butt. Incidently, to me it is a very complex camera with lots of bells and whistles to choose from. I suggest that you buy the Videos, read the manual and parallel your study with actual use of the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eltari

this isn't really a pro or a con just a comparison, the auto focus is slightly slower then the D3. Apart from that it really is as good as a D3

Gladiator

What i hate the most is not having 100% coverage in the viewfinder the way my old F3 HP did, heck and since i wear glasses, why not the HP (High Eyepoint) option too. As for the rest i love my D700.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of purchasing a D700 camera?

Briegman

I've owned my D700 now for over a year and am constantly amazed by it's many features, versatilty, and quality. It's truly a Professional level camera and at a reasonable price. If I had an issue with the camera, it would be a complaint regarding the battery grip. It only has one slot for a battery, the second battery is
in the camera's battery chamber. Why is this an issue? You have to remove the grip whenever you need to charge both batteries. Not overwhelming, just a pain in the butt. Incidently, to me it is a very complex camera with lots of bells and whistles to choose from. I suggest that you buy the Videos, read the manually and parallel your study with actual use of the camera.

Spot on with this quote, the ONLY bad point about the D700 is the battery grip. As for the replacement, the decision is easy, prices will come down, best time to buy, I would expect at least another 3 years of state of the art tech in the D700. It's all you'll need 'cause it's that good.

MwCapel

My only problem with the D700 is ONLY ONE CF SLOT!!!
That's all. Other than that I'm happy with my product!!!!

I attatched a photo I took to show its power OOooOOooOOo

5409379546_23b3ca6dfd_b.jpg

5408433110_b8e6360fc4_b.jpg

johnwartjr

I would love a 2nd CF slot, but other than that, I've been incredibly happy with my D700. It has everything else I wanted!

Regarding the 2nd battery, the way I handle mine is I just don't put a battery in the body! I use the EN-EL3E battery in the tray in the grip, or an EN-EL4A battery in the grip with the correct end cap. Takes seconds to change, if necessary. The EN-EL4A battery can fill a couple 32 GB cards without needing recharged. Well, not in the winter, but it was fine in the fall :)

Granted, my purchasing grips isn't because they hold an extra battery - I like the 2nd shutter release, as well as how they balance the body with a bigger lens.

The high ISO performance of the camera is quite good. It focuses plenty fast for me.

Briegman

Can't argue with that. The only thing better than the D700 would be.............Chuck Norris or maybe the Hoff!!! LOL.
I've just been through Cyclone Yasi and thought I'd get some good shots,but she wouldn't let me out.... my wife, that is.

cameraf4

Biggest advantage goes to older film Nikon users like me. All of my old Nikon glass works on the D700 at least as well as they did on the film cameras they were made for. When you have a dozen-or-so AF/AIS lenses, DX format isn't really all that attractive. I liked my D80 and the one lens I had for it. But now, I'm rejuvenated like when I bought my first Nikon 30 years ago.

Briegman

I just updated my picture control to DX2Mode and it makes quite a difference when shooting green, red and blue, colors tend to stay true. And not too vivid.
Recommend to all, there are 3 modes as well as landscape and portrait.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I just updated my picture control to DX2Mode and it makes quite a difference when shooting green, red and blue, colors tend to stay true. And not too vivid.
Recommend to all, there are 3 modes as well as landscape and portrait.

Can you explain how you did this? I just got the D700 last week so I'm still exploring all the menus.
Thanks,
Marcel

Ranie

I had once owned a D700 and was very satisfied with its performance, until one day................ it had problems. We'll, it was more like a defect on the hardware (power unit). It was 1 of 3 known D700 in Asia with that defect. I was hoping for a replacement since it was still under warranty. But being a grey unit, I have to send it to Singapore for repairs. Nikon Singapore did the repairs but I was hoping that they would replace me a new unit since it was indeed a factory defect. But they did not. I decided to sell the unit and invested in fast lenses. If ever I had a chance again to buy a D700, I would not think twice.

Cons - i dont find any.

Briegman

Can you explain how you did this? I just got the D700 last week so I'm still exploring all the menus.
Thanks,
Marcel

Hi Marcel,

Ok I'll try without writing an essay.
Go to Nikon website and search download of D2XMODE picture control( there three modes plus landscape and portrait)
I would skip d2xmode3, as it is not very good or different to pic control already stored.
These files are *.nop files, save them in NIKON folder on card (root level).
1. Insert card
2. Shooting menu/manage picture control/ load save/ copy to camera.
3. .nop files come up, select whichever one (except for mode3) press OK save as xxxxxx.
That's it, a quick word on results, with mode1, color is good but yellow/reds shift a bit. Mode2 is spot on, Feature the 'old' Nikon colors. Landscape gives you a good vivid punchy result, less vivid than vivid.
Beware though that contrast will be pushed up forcing whites to be near blown and taking dark values downwards. Not a big issue in my opinion.
Hope this helps, sorry for the long reply.
Brian

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks Brian, I'll give this a trial. I already got some Velvia mode from another nikon forum and it's really nice. I was able to do it after I read the "NIKON" folder thing.
But this camera is quite something. I do available light portraits and I'm amazed at the results so far.

Marcel

Briegman

Hi yeah same here, that's why I'm not fussed about the replacement coming soon.
D700 is amazingly capable with some decent glass.
Enjoy

viktormadarasz

The D700 is a beautiful camera. I cannot wait until I can save up enough buck to purchase it!.

I'm in the same shoes...Although i hope by the time i save up enough money the replacement D800 is going to be for the same price like the D700 model

I just dont want a DX format camera, i need full frame backward lens compatibility with older 35mm film ones and higher dinamic range and great iso performance.

I was honestly thinking about a Canon 5D Mark II ( I got caught by th Megapixel war) but then i made my research and i found out due respect for Canon , Nikon builds ultimately strudier , more rigid cameras which stays with you in tough times and a slightly better AF system ( anyway the 19 point cross type sensor system in Canon EOS 7D is promising)

So come on D800 bring that Nikon name back into the game again.. 18mp FX at least 21 cross type sensor , dual CF, Magnesium alloy body, no scene modes (like in D3x) ( thats my whislist)

Viktor