Project 365 - 2012: MikeC

Mike150

OK... Going to stick my toe in and test the waters. I sure hope I can complete this. This is picture ONE. It was taken yesterday, but posted today. Now I need to go get a shot for today.

We had two of our granddaughters (7 & 5) for the weekend. They decided to decorate the hallway with cutouts made from Construction paper and ribbon. At least they didn't use crayons and marking pens on the wall like last year.

2012-001.JPG

Mike150

Just a quick note. The Overexposed area under the letter "A" in happy is teh flash reflecting off the mile and a half of scotch tape they used to secure the decorations.

stamatisg2002

Don't worry about minor technical details. I find the photo cute.

P.S.: Had they used crayons, take it as opportunity to renovate the wall!!!

Happy New Year!

RickSawThat

Happy New Year to you and your family. It's going to be very fun sharing all our daily pics. I look forward to posting daily and checking out your pics too. Great start!

Mike150

Day TWO

When I took this I had got the Idea that I could be lazy and include this as an entry for the Weekly contest (In the Kitchen). Unfortunately (for me) Newb beat me to it with a shot of his coffee maker.

2012-002.jpg

Mike150

Day Three

Finally back to work. Holidays are over.
I forgot my camera this morning, so I had to use the camera at work. It happens to be a cannon powershot SX110. Please don't hold that against me. I checked the rules and it didn't say I HAD to use a Nikon.

This is a sub assembly I'm nearly finished with. I had to custom make the mounting plates because the machine shop we use can't get them done in time.

This is a preamplifier section to a rediculously high frequency transmitter (500Ghz). We make systems with frequencies much higher than that.

2012-003.JPG

OK, you can all Boo me now for using the cannon, but note that I neglected to capitalize any part of the word cannon.

Carolina Photo Guy

Day Three

Finally back to work. Holidays are over.
I forgot my camera this morning, so I had to use the camera at work. It happens to be a cannon powershot SX110. Please don't hold that against me. I checked the rules and it didn't say I HAD to use a Nikon.

This is a sub assembly I'm nearly finished with. I had to custom make the mounting plates because the machine shop we use can't get them done in time.

This is a preamplifier section to a rediculously high frequency transmitter (500Ghz). We make systems with frequencies much higher than that.

View attachment 7236

OK, you can all Boo me now for using the cannon, but note that I neglected to capitalize any part of the word cannon.

First, a comment. Canon is spelled with only one "n".

Second, a question. Is this pre-amp sub-assembly for a microwave based communications transmitter?

I can only extrapolate the size of the components from the relative perceived size of the connectors, so that heat sink is freakin' huge!

With THAT amount of heat being pulled off, that makes me think microwave coupled with optical output.

Of course, I could be wrong. :)

fotojack

First, a comment. Canon is spelled with only one "n".

Second, a question. Is this pre-amp sub-assembly for a microwave based communications transmitter?

I can only extrapolate the size of the components from the relative perceived size of the connectors, so that heat sink is freakin' huge!

With THAT amount of heat being pulled off, that makes me think microwave coupled with optical output.

Of course, I could be wrong. :)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, Pete. ;)

Mike150

First off, I've never used a "CANON" before, so no wonder I can't spell it.

These Transmitters (and their corresponding receivers) do end up in the microwave range. Actually, 1 THz is in the low end of the Infrared range. They are primarially used for research. Radio Astronomy, Atmospheric monitoring and such. Their actual operation is well beyond my feeble little mind. (That's why we have so many Phd's). I just put all the parts into a nice pretty little package.

Actual Size? 4" by 3.5" Heat sync is as large as it is because these amps get rather warm and are in an enclosed case. Better to have too much heat dissipation than too little.

Carolina Photo Guy

First off, I've never used a "CANON" before, so no wonder I can't spell it.

These Transmitters (and their corresponding receivers) do end up in the microwave range. Actually, 1 THz is in the low end of the Infrared range. They are primarially used for research. Radio Astronomy, Atmospheric monitoring and such. Their actual operation is well beyond my feeble little mind. (That's why we have so many Phd's). I just put all the parts into a nice pretty little package.

Actual Size? 4" by 3.5" Heat sync is as large as it is because these amps get rather warm and are in an enclosed case. Better to have too much heat dissipation than too little.

Thank you sir! Its nice to know that my deductive reasoning has not completely disappeared! :)

Not too bad for just looking at a couple of parts on a mounting board! :cool:

AxeMan - Rick S.

Is this pre-amp sub-assembly for a microwave based communications transmitter?

Mike, forgive for high jacking your thread for a moment. I think we should start a thread of "Stump Pete" or a "What am I" thread. Pete you are a walking encyclopedia. Nothing gets past you.

Mike good luck on your 365 Project, keep up the good work.

Mike150

Mike, forgive for high jacking your thread for a moment. I think we should start a thread of "Stump Pete" or a "What am I" thread. Pete you are a walking encyclopedia. Nothing gets past you.

Mike good luck on your 365 Project, keep up the good work.

Hijack away. The hijacks are what makes this forum so fun.

Mike150

Day FOUR

Something whimsical today. It's one of the Christmas items that hasn't been put to rest yet.
The little fellow plays Jingle Bells, and dances across the table.

Anyone old enough to remember the old sock monkeys?

2012-004.jpg

Mike150

Day Five

Yes, I parked there. If I can't find something better tomorrow I'll take a shot of the tag I hang from my mirror.

2012-005.jpg

fotojack

LOL... I use the same tag, Mike. :) Comes in handy in huge parking lots. :)

I'm kinda curious here as to who's the older of us old guys. You, Pete, me or someone else. Just something I wonder about at times. :)

Mike150

LOL... I use the same tag, Mike. :) Comes in handy in huge parking lots. :)

I'm kinda curious here as to who's the older of us old guys. You, Pete, me or someone else. Just something I wonder about at times. :)

I'm not embarassed to say it. My daughter refers to me as being "Older'n Dirt", my Son, "Old Man". Keep in mind both use the terms lovingly (I think). In reality, I will be 63 at the end of this month.

Carolina Photo Guy

I'm not embarassed to say it. My daughter refers to me as being "Older'n Dirt", my Son, "Old Man". Keep in mind both use the terms lovingly (I think). In reality, I will be 63 at the end of this month.

Well, if YOU'RE older than dirt, then I'm the guy that gave God a cigar when his boy was born! Cute baby, had his mother's feet. :)