NikonThom 365

NikonThom

I think this is the right place to start my 365 (366) project. If not, please let me know. Here is my first post, taken today, January 1, 2012 at the Fort Southwest Point in Kingston TN. I realized too late that I had left my camera set to 1600 ISO... and it is very grainy, but it is what I did today.
Thom FtSWPoint-1-web.jpg

ohkphoto

Snow White
This is beautiful, Thom! Very nice colors and composition. It seems to tilting just a tad to the right . . . I think. But then I've already had a glass of wine.

NikonThom

Thanks everyone! The scene was on a hillside, thus the leaning right... vertical lines are vertical, but the land tilts down to the right. I had taken several photos down by the river at this scene, and was through. While walking back to the van I looked up and saw the clouds and tree... light was changing quickly so I hurriedly set up my tripod and took a few shots. This was the result, the other photos I took were not worth printing! I think this will be a real challenge, taking a photo every day for a year! Some days I don't have time to hardly look up! But it will be fun to try!

NikonThom

Picture #2 of 366 - Year 2012

This is a study in shadows from a poinsettia leaf under house lighting. It was a 25 second exposure at f/32 with a VERY sturdy tripod. ISO 200 with a 55mm Micro Nikkor. poinsettia-bw.jpg

ohkphoto

Snow White
Great choice to do this in BW . . . I like the softness, the little bit of grain that seems to be there, and the composition is really excellent. Good lines. Very nice capture, Thom.

NikonThom

Great choice to do this in BW . . . I like the softness, the little bit of grain that seems to be there, and the composition is really excellent. Good lines. Very nice capture, Thom.

Thanks a lot Helene! I think the "grain" is an artifact of the long exposure (25 seconds) and I didn't smooth it in post processing. The softness and "retro" black and white look might be from the same source. But I thought it was a fun shoot! Again, thanks!

ohkphoto

Snow White
I think the "grain" is an artifact of the long exposure

I think that's where artistry in post processing is important . . . to smooth or not to smooth. Not all noise is bad. Depends on what look you want and you called it right by NOT smoothing. I recently was experimenting with low light and ended up with quite a bit of noise in the photo. Played around in pp and actually added noise/grain. The photo ended up as an exhibition winner.

NikonThom

Photo #3 of 366 2012
We had our first snow last night. My wife still had a few blooms in her garden so I snapped this one of the last flower in the first snow. Not too sharp, but as cold as I was it will have to do! Ha!snowflower-1-web.jpg

NikonThom

Photo #4 of 366
I took this photo outside our room at the Whitestone Inn in Kingston TN this evening. My wife and I are staying here tonight and tomorrow on our vacation. It is a beautiful setting and I hope to get many great photos here over the next day and a half! This is an HDR processed image composed of three different exposures.
whitestone-1-web.jpg

WendyR

Wow! This is really pretty.. like something out of a dream. I bet in the spring time this is really beautiful.

NikonThom

Photo #5 of 366 - 2012
This was the sunrise outside our room this morning at the Whitestone Inn near Kingston TN. It was glorious!
whitestone-3-web.jpg