Project 2012 - (Every now and then...)

stamatisg2002

Decided to start my own project 2012. Something easy for starters

flower_res.jpg

stamatisg2002

I dropped the project for a while due to workload and the siberian temperatures, but I returned for some photos. The first two were taken a few days ago and the last two, today on the way to a town nearby.

boatsunset_sm.jpg

shadow_sm.jpg

cave_sm.jpg

rusty_sm.jpg

ohkphoto

Snow White
I'm glad you join in this project, even if it's only once in a while. Your seacoast shot with the boat is beautiful. Very nicely done.

stamatisg2002

This is the newest update with the (borrowed) 50mm lens. I'm getting in teptation to buy a 50mm lens from e-bay. Given that the lens I had was from 1982 and manual operated, I can only say WOW! about the sharpness of the lens!

motorcycle_sm.jpg

The second photo, a few days ago I was at the harbor and a sparrow sat on my car, a great opportunity to take a photo!

sparrow_sm.jpg

And last, today I was again in the road near a village when spotted this hawk in a field, probably just got a mouse or something like that. The quality isn't that good because I forgot to activate tha VR mode on my lens. BIG mistake...

preybirdsm.jpg

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
But from the exif all 3 of your shots were not taken with the 50mm lens. Were they supposed to?

stamatisg2002

Oops, you were right Marcel, my mistake, that's the actual photo with the 50mm, only had to resize and crop it.
Sorry the inconvenience and thanks that you pointed it out!!! :eek:

motorcycle2.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think owning a nifty 50 is a must for every photographer. I just wouldn't be without one. Almost all my portraits are done with the 55 1.2. As soon as I close it down a bit (2-4), it becomes so so sharp than no zoom can come close.

Eye-level

Banned
Stamatis how did it go with the focusing and metering? It appears you figured something out that was workable.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Marcel. And I would like to add that if one is going to take pictures of people whether it be a portrait of a person, a wedding, a birthday party or whatever you MUST have a fast 50 prime period. Fortunately Nikon has made tons and tons of them so for the most part they are cheap. Some say the Nikkor 50 1.8 (not the Series E) is even better than the 50 1.2 or 50 1.4 ...the 55 1.2 Marcel speaks of is the old version of the super fast 50 and can be had in excellent condition for as little as $350 and in bargain grade for a little over $200...the ultimate of the "fast fifty type" lenses made by Nikon is the 58 1.2 Noct Nikkor...the 58 has no coma flare whatsoever when making nighttime/nightlife type shots. It is way way high dollar.

stamatisg2002

I mainly try various shutter speeds, so I have to take many underexposed or overexposed photos in order to achieve the ideal photo. It's impossible to rely on any F/shutter tables, so I figured that experience is the only option (not the case with me!!). So there were many failed photos. If you want I'll upload some more photos of the 50 lens to tell me your opinion Jeff.

Eye-level

Banned
This is where coming from a fully mechanical no battery no meter background helped me tremendously when I finally got a DSLR in my hands. I was already familiar with the light...eg. I know that in my house the light is usually F2.8 60 ISO 400...outside I always start at F16 and matching shutterspeed and ISO...with the D5000 I start at those landmarks if you will and then figure out my bearings from there. It's easy really once you get the hang of it. Think of it as sailing by the stars as opposed to sailing by GPS! hahaha And this is a thing...I say to you all challenge yourselfs..turn off all the auto stuff and shoot in manual mode...learn the fstops and speeds and isos...it will only make you a stronger photographer...

Yes Stamatis show us some more examples please. Of the two motorcylce snaps the first one you posted is deluxe. The background is deluxe. The background and exposure in the second photo is deluxe. Deluxe, deluxe, deluxe because you are using your total skills instead of letting the camera do it for you... :)