The venerable Nikon D200

fotojack

It's nice to see that the admin has added the D200 to the list of great cameras. As the instigator of this forum, let's see if I can add something of interest to start it off. :)

As I was reloading my camera battery the other day, I thought: what if I had a serious battery failure inside my camera body? What would I do? It would probably ruin the sensitive electronics in there. So I thought........why not use a battery pack/grip and lessen the chances of that happening. Better to lose the grip than a whole camera, right? So that's what I did. Went out and got myself a battery pack/grip to load 2 batteries. Gives the camera a better sense of balance with the added weight, but it feels so much better to shoot with. Plus I have the added advantage of longer shoot times with the 2 batteries in there.
Just something to think about. :)

ps: I have to chuckle at the "Junior Member" designation. I'm in my 60's! lol Probably not what it means though. ;)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I don't know - Li-ion batteries are pretty stable when used correctly. It would be rare to see one fail under normal load. Now if you're shooting in extreme heat, or you try to charge it with the incorrect charger, that's another story. Regardless 2 batteries and a grip isn't a bad thing :)

YEh, the "Jr member" is a stock feature of the forum software. It'll say "Member" when you reach 30 posts, and Senior Member when you reach 100. These will probably be modified to say something more meaningful in the future :)

DaeMar

Something seems wrong with my grip The batteries have a VERY short life. I will have to get it checked out for shorting. Would be nice to get some use out of it. Maybe "junior" is a state of mind???

fotojack

Something seems wrong with my grip The batteries have a VERY short life. I will have to get it checked out for shorting. Would be nice to get some use out of it. Maybe "junior" is a state of mind???

Hi Daemar. I have the grip on mine, too, and so far no problems. Got 2 batteries loaded into it, and the battery life is amazing! Just make sure they are both fully charged when you load them, otherwise they do tend to die out after about 400 shots or so (on each). Oh....and as soon as your battery is charged, take it off the charger, as they tend to self discharge quicker when left on the charger too long.

DaeMar

Thanks fotojack~ by short life i meant that they would expire within 24 hours!
Definitely a problem . i will look into this soon.

DaveKoontz

DaeMar, How many images are you getting per battery charge ... maybe time has nothing to do with it. I have the battery grip as well, but when shooting at the races can eat the batteries in the morning depending on the action. If they are dying in your camera when you are not shooting, then you might want to check your connection (on tight). Are your batteries "Nikon" or grey market? I've had 'grey market' (eBay) fizzle on me after only a few shoots ... bad investment!

DaeMar

Thanks for the reply Dave. I think the problem is a short in the unit itself. I put charged up , good batteries in it and they go flat overnight with NO pics having been taken. brand doesn't seem to make any difference. i will send it in for repair.

fotojack

The best "grey market" batteries I have found so far are by DIGIPOWER (Item # BP-NKL3e). I get mine at FutureShop. I would imagine Best Buy would have them, too. The company's web site is www.mizco.com. They have a one year warranty, and I think they were about $40 each. A lot cheaper than the $80 or $90 most camera places want. They even have a 1-800 number: 1-800-266-4026. There ya go, that's all I got on this subject. :)

Curt

I thinhttp://www.canada-batteries.ca/digital-camera-batteries/nikon-d200.htmk the battery for both D80 and D200 are the same???

fotojack

I thinhttp://www.canada-batteries.ca/digital-camera-batteries/nikon-d200.htmk the battery for both D80 and D200 are the same???

Fits Models

• NIKON D100
  • Nikon D200
  • NIKON D300
  • Nikon D300s
  • NIKON D50
  • NIKON D70
  • NIKON D700
  • NIKON D70s
  • Nikon D80
  • NIKON D90
  • Nikon DSLR D700