Nikkor 50mm 1.4g lens w/ moving children

DEB

I just purchased the 50mm 1.1.4G lens and having trouble using with moving children. I have the D5000 Nikon camera and not sure if I need to make changes on the controls of my camera. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

fotojack

Re: Nikkor 50mm 1.14g lens

Put your camera in Shutter mode. Shoot at least at 1/250th. If shooting outside, use f/8. If inside, use f.2.8 and flash.

Here's a hint: moving objects = Shutter Priority
static objects = Aperture Priority
This is a general rule of thumb, subject to change without notice. ;)

Oh..and before I forget.....I believe you mean 50mm 1.4G. There is no 1.14G lens. :) I think what you're reading is 1:1.4

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'm assuming that by 'trouble' you mean that the kids are moving and the pics are coming out blurry. It could just be that you don't have enough light and need a flash, or like Jack said above, put it in shutter priority. If the pics come out dark then you need a flash.

By the way, the d5000 does have a 'children' auto preset. It looks like a baby. You might want to try that too.

icSlowMo

I would use aperture mode and auto iso with a minimum shutter speed of 1/200th or so, adjust to what's needed... set aperture to f2.8 as mentioned and use flash to help freeze their action... just my 2 cents though...

Bukitimah

I don't have a f1.4 G lens but recently bought a 50 mm F1.8 AFD lens. I must say, I am very satisfied with the lens.

I took this photo in a dim covered area without flash. Something I couldn't do with my previous kit lens.

DSC_7604.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The other thing could be the focus settings.If you try to capture kids without giving the camera the proper delay to get the focus acquisition, the pics will be out of focus. This is a question of practice. No camera by itself can decide what to focus on, there is a human decision that you must make and then give the instruction to the camera about what you want it to focus on.

There must be a very instructive explanation of this in the user manual. Read it carefully with camera in hand and try again. Practice makes perfect.
Happy shooting.