D700 with SB-700 Flash

litrato

I recently purchased a D700 and an SB-700 Flash. While I was scrolling through the settings/menu of the D700, I noticed that the minimum setting for shutter speed available under the e2 setting (Flash Shutter Speed) was 1/60s. Which means that when I'm on AV mode using Auto ISO, the minimum shutter speed setting is 1/60s.

Is there any way I can change the setting to a faster shutter speed, i.e. 1/100s on AV mode?

I also own a Canon 5D MkII body which lets me set a fixed shutter speed of 1/200s in AV mode which a flash is mounted. Is there a similar setting available on the D700 body?

Very much appreciate any feedback :)

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Hrm, from the manual under the Flash Shutter Speed setting...

This option determines the slowest shutter speed available when using front or rear-curtain sync or red-eye reduction in programmed auto or aperture-priority auto exposure modes (regardless of the setting chosen, shutter speeds can be as slow as 30 s in shutter-priority auto and manual exposure modes or at flash settings of slow sync, slow rear-curtain sync or red-eye reduction with slow sync). Options range from 1/60s (1/60s, the default setting) to 30 s.

I don't have a d700 in front of me, but based on that you should be able to set this to 1/100. Although that is just the min setting, so it won't be fixed.

Are you referring to 'flash shutter speed' as the flash duration? What exactly do you want to accomplish by setting things this way? (I suspect you're trying to balance ambient light with fill flash, but wanted to make sure) Maybe the same result can be achieved by setting the flash sync speed under e1? How about the TTLBL (i-TTL blanaced fill-flash) setting on the sb-700?

Welcome to Nikonites btw :)

litrato

Thanks for the reply jdeg.

Yes, the options range from 1/60s to 30s. It won't let me go faster than 1/60s.

I just want to set the minimum shutter speed of my D700 to 1/100s when I'm on AV mode. Depending on the lens I'm using, I find sometimes that 1/60s is not fast enough. I guess the only way to do this is to bump up my ISO settings? But if I'm on auto ISO, the SS automatically sets to 1/60s.

On my Canon 5D camera, it lets me set a fixed shutter speed of 1/200s when shooting on AV mode using an external flash. Does Nikon have a similar setting on the D700?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mark E

Am I missing something here, If I want to control the shutter speed, i put the mode in Shutter Priority. If I remember correctly, did not look it up, you can use up to 1/250 shutter speed for flash sync.

litrato

Hi Mark, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, Shutter Priority will definitely address the issue. But what if I want to shoot Aperture Priority?

I tried setting the flash sync speed at 1/250 (e1 on the Setting Menu), but the D700 still sets the shutter speed at 1/60s unless I use auto ISO mode and I bump up the ISO. The e2 menu allows me to choose the flash shutter speed in aperture-priority mode, but the fastest is 1/60s.

I am looking for a way to set my D700 to have a minimum shutter speed setting of 1/100s when using an external flash, Aperture Priority, Auto ISO. I just want to see if there is such a setting available on the Nikon D700.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Mark, it does has a 1/320 (auto fp) mode. 1/250 is the default though

litrato, I see what you mean now. If you want to control aperture, set it to Manual mode, dial in the shutter to 1/100, set auto-ISO and then adjust aperture accordingly.

There is a note in the manual about auto ISO ...

When auto ISO sensitivity control is on, ISO sensitivity will automatically be adjust as required for optimal flash output when an optional flash unit is attached. This may result in foreground subjects being underexposed in photographs taken with the flash as slow shutter speeds, in daylight, or against a bright backgound. In these cases, choose a flash mode other than slow sync or choose a larger aperture.
... by selecting exposure mode A or M

... Note that when the flash is used, the camera uses the shutter speed selected for Custom Setting e1 (Flash sync Speed) in place of the value selected for Minimum shutter speed

So I don't believe there is a way to set the min shutter to 1/100 in aperture priority. The only way is to manually adjust the shutter and aperture in Manual mode.

litrato

Mark, it does has a 1/320 (auto fp) mode. 1/250 is the default though

litrato, I see what you mean now. If you want to control aperture, set it to Manual mode, dial in the shutter to 1/100, set auto-ISO and then adjust aperture accordingly.

There is a note in the manual about auto ISO ...

... by selecting exposure mode A or M

So I don't believe there is a way to set the min shutter to 1/100 in aperture priority. The only way is to manually adjust the shutter and aperture in Manual mode.

Thanks jdeg. That's exactly what I suspected: no way to set the min shutter to 1/100 in aperture priority.

It is interesting that the manual says that "Note that when the flash is used, the camera uses the shutter speed selected for Custom Setting e1 (Flash sync Speed) in place of the value selected for Minimum shutter speed", and yet for some reason, it still uses the shutter speed selected for Custom Setting e1, rather than the Minimum shutter speed selected for Custom Setting e2.

Nevertheless, thank you so much for all your help.

Incidentally, how do I change the settings to flash mode? :)