Raw beginner, forgive me!

Ellie01

Hi guys, I have recently just purchased a D7000 kit w/ 18-200mm lens and was wondering if some of you would be kind enough to share some tutorials on the very very basics on how to get started. I have naturally had a read of the instruction manual but was also just wanting some advice on the best way to get started with my new camera in regards to how to set up etc. This is my very first DSLR and I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed with all the settings and functions so any input would be greatly appreciated. If it helps I'll mostly be using for outdoor/action shots relating to horses and other animals.

I have always had a keen interest in photography but have never gotten around to doing something about it until now!

As I said, I am a very very raw beginner when it comes to all of this so forgive me for any silly questions I may ask!

Carolina Photo Guy

Mastering the Nikon D7000. This book is on Amazon. It's cheap and good.

You spent a gazillion and seven dollars and eighty nine cents on your camera kit. Spend twenty bucks more.

There are only 2 circumstances to create silly questions.

Any question that you DON'T ask is a silly question.

Any question that I DO ask is a silly question.

Welcome to the club. You'll like it here. Hell, they put up with ME! :)

Last edited:

ccoulson

HI!!!

First of all.. People are going to ask you to fill in your profile info.. LOL..

This is my second DSLR and I am still Overwhelmed by this camera at times, though its a ton of fun!! There is a book on AMAZON called Mastering the D7000.I have found it to be realllly helpful just keep your camera with you as you read and he tells you how to set it up.. Its pretty awesome.

Im a newbie, so I dont have tons of tips for you, but I hope you love your camera!!! Its a huge purchase and again, Its a ton of fun. Most of the people on this forum are nice and willing to help answer any questions that you have!!!

Have fun here!!
Courtnie

ccoulson

Pete you were reading my mind!!
Mastering the Nikon D7000. This book is on Amazon. It's cheap and good.

You spent a gazillion and seven dollars and eighty nine cents on your camera kit. Spend twenty bucks more.

There are only 2 circumstances to create silly questions.

Any question that you DON'T ask is a silly question.

Any question that I DO ask is a silly question.

Welcome to the club. You'll like it here. Hell, they put up with ME! :)

Just-Clayton

Now look what you did pete! You scared Ellie away. She hasnt responded back. Dont worry Ellie hes harmless and we can help. these guys have helped me the last 6 months. Even Pete!!

Ellie01

Sorry guys, busy day (and the fact that I'm in Australia, not sure where the general population of you are based!). Will definitely be purchasing the book, thanks for the recommendation!

rocky

The owners manual really is well written. Also, if you come to a menu setting you're not sure about, push that button with the question mark on it. It explains the setting.
I used to get frustrated with the camera presets for jpeg shots, especially if I forgot to re-adjust for new shooting conditions. The solution? Shoot RAW. You can make all the adjustments at your computer, at your leisure, and the best part is that you can re-adjust the images in the future from the raw file at no loss of quality. When you shoot jpeg, you begin with only 25% of the original image to work with, and lose quality from there. with raw you start at 100% and can always use that as the starting point. And adjusting the images in raw will teach you to truly understand what each adjustment is and how to use it to improve any image.
The only thing you can't adjust in raw is ISO.

Last edited: