help I hate my D3100, can't take indoor pics

mdlewis555

help! with my D3100, can't take indoor pics

I have had my d3100 almost a year and don't have time to sit and study it and take classes ect... So I have read some online but still do not have success with indoor low light pictures, they are blurry and not focused and it takes forever to take pictures and focus them and I have not had any luck with this. I have tried it in auto mode, guide mode and manual. I have read the manual that came with it and it did not help.

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'm sorry you're having a tough time. It sounds like the shutter speed is too low because the camera doesn't have enough available light. The easiest solution: use the flash and put it in auto mode.

If you are using the flash and things are blurry then the shutter speed has manually been set too low.

The other thing that could be happening is the lens is not set to auto-focus, but since you mentioned low light it sounds like shutter speed.

StringThing

It sounds like the problems you are having would be problems that you would have with ANY camera not in auto mode. Even in Auto mode, if the light is too low and the flash did not fire, you will have blurry images.

Carolina Photo Guy

I have had my d3100 almost a year and don't have time to sit and study it and take classes ect... So I have read some online but still do not have success with indoor low light pictures, they are blurry and not focused and it takes forever to take pictures and focus them and I have not had any luck with this. I really wonder if something is wrong with the camera. I have tried it in auto mode, guide mode and manual.

I have to wonder how many people have ever become proficent with ANYTHING that they have not taken time to study.
It seems to me that you have answered your question already. :p

BWTHDIK?

ThePilot

I'm with Carolina Guy !:rolleyes:
Suggest you read the manual and learn the basics about the interplay between shutter speed, aperture and ISO, or leave it on full auto and use flash in low light.

Iain

fotojack

I have had my d3100 almost a year and don't have time to sit and study it ......

If you don't have time to learn about your camera, when do you find the time to take pictures? I hear this over and over from people. How do you expect to take pictures if you don't know anything about the tool that you use to take those pictures? Doesn't make sense!
If you don't want to take the time to learn, then don't expect others to do the work for you. We'll help, but you have to help yourself first. That's just the way it works.

chryssie

Hi there! Don't forget to use the tripod or put the camera on a table to stabilize it. Use the remote if you have one, or put it on the self timer. Remember that the slightest movement will blur the photo. Also check what your ISO is on - you may need to increase that. Also there is a little green dot on the bottom left hand corner - if camera is in focus, it will stay still, but will blink when the focus is out. I admit, that I forget about that little green dot, but when one keeps an eye on it, the photos come out well. As others have said, it is worth your while going on the net and learning about the exposure triangle (ISO, Shutter speed, and aperture because they work together and once you know whats what, it will help you.