Is the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 worth it?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens and am thinking about renting the 17-55mm for an event. I'm unsure if the higher aperture (and weight) will be worth it. All the pics I'll be taking will be in doors under mostly low light. I will have my sb-700 flash with me. I'll cost a little over $75 to rent for the week that I need it.

Thoughts?

fotojack

Funny you should mention that particular lens. I was at the mall today, and walked by the mall Santa, who had a camera setup. The camera was a D70 and the lens was a 17-55 2.8 and a flash through a 30" umbrella. Pictures were coming out awesome.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It's a very nice lens. I had the Tamron 17-50 and then got the 17-55 Nikon and the Nikon is a little sharper. But the Tamron has VR… and is half price of the Nikon.
And the Nikon is twice the weight. But the IQ is better with the Nikon.

Sambr

It's a great lens. One of my favorites. Built like a tank could serve as a weapon if needed. Seriously it's my most used lens on my D300.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I guess I'm still trying to answer the question though. Will I get better pictures with the 17-55 vs the 18-55 kit lens in the environment mentioned above?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
well, I guess I know I'll get better pics with the 17-55, but will the difference be enough to go "wow!" when viewing the results?

Ranie

jdeg, i have this lens as my default lens. Use it 95% of the time in all my shoots (outdoor and indoor)
you cant get wrong with this lens

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
jdeg, i have this lens as my default lens. Use it 95% of the time in all my shoots (outdoor and indoor)
you cant get wrong with this lens

Same here. With the f/2.8 aperture you can really isolate subjects and shoot in low light. If I had to choose only one DX lens, this would be it with no reservations.

gav329

Hi Ranie

Unfortunately the 17-55 is way out of my reach however I am probably going to purchase the Tamron 17-50 F2.8, do you have experience of this lens? I am new to DSLR so the Nikon is wasted on me but the Tamron is a possibility. I had a look at your flickr link above, some stunning photography really impressive.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Unfortunately the 17-55 is way out of my reach however I am probably going to purchase the Tamron 17-50 F2.8, do you have experience of this lens? I am new to DSLR so the Nikon is wasted on me but the Tamron is a possibility.

You might want to consider buying used - I did. The price for a new copy of the latest Tamron versus a used Nikkor seems to be around US$200-250. With folks moving to FX and some effort. you can often find one around US$850-900. Just a thought.

gav329

Hi eduard

Yes I'll go for second hand. The Nikon is still a bit expensive. I've found 2 nice examples of the tamron second hand in very good condition, I'll probably buy one. Thanks for your reply

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranie

Hi Ranie

Unfortunately the 17-55 is way out of my reach however I am probably going to purchase the Tamron 17-50 F2.8, do you have experience of this lens? I am new to DSLR so the Nikon is wasted on me but the Tamron is a possibility. I had a look at your flickr link above, some stunning photography really impressive.

Hi gav329. Personally, I have not tried the Tamron in this focal range but have tried in other focal ranges. Plus its a hit or miss with 3rd party lenses. I find the Tamron slow in AF. The pre-owned Nikon 17-55 would be your best option if the brandnew is over on your budget.