filters for d3100

Status
Not open for further replies.

piddymom

I am the proud owner of a D3100, I LOVE the camera but I have a few questions. I am looking at buying some filters-they have quite a few on amazon.com, they are different sizes (52, 58 ect) what size do I need ? I have the 18-55 lens the 35mm and the 55-200..also I was at a inside party and used the "p" mode with the 35 mm lens and the pics came out blurry and looking like they had a "green tint"........any suggestions, I appericate your help ;)

Ruidoso Bill

Some $ saving advice on filters, use step up rings and buy the largest size filter and adapt those to your smaller lenses. For example, my 18-200 uses a 72 mm filter, my 50 mm uses 52 mm. If you look at the price of say a good Circular Polarizer you can spend big bucks, $200-400 for the best. I can't afford to buy one for all 6 of my lenses so I use the largest and step up rings to adapt the smaller lenses to the larger filter. The adapter rings come in a set, step ups at amazon are around $13 bucks. Hope that helps.

PS - I think all three of your current lenses are 52 mm.

Last edited:

fotojack

Here's an easy way to determine what size filter to get for each lens: look on the inside of your lens cap. It's printed right there for you. :)

momsquam

I have a 3100 and I actually just got a couple filters myself. I think 52mm is standard for lens for the3100. But each lens has size on the outer ring. I got filters from amazon, and a couple sets say they fit the 3100 as well as a variety of other cameras that I know do not have the same size lens. I didn't know there were step up rings and adapters that Yibel was explaining about, so that maybe that is why those are listed to fit all those different camera's. There is a vast difference in filters depending on what quality (and/or price) your going for.
I went with UV and polarizer filter 52mm, by polaroid. I've only couple weeks so I can't say too much yet, but so far I'm happy with them for the price.

momsquam

thanks for adding the information about step up rings, I still have my eye on a couple other filters so that is very helpful stuff to know.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Ok, I'll take it one step further. On the bottom of your lens, just above the serial number, the last numbers in that line will show your filter size, the same number printed on the inside of lens cap imagine that. This is the way I was taught.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Hello piddymom - I saw that you posted a question in the blog. Questions should be in the forums, however. Feel free to repost your question in a new thread.

I just bought a set of filters and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the neutral density and fluorescent filters are best used for ?? TKU

Will V|Photography

I hate to sound bitter or rude but I really wish people would learn to use Google for the most basic and general questions. You'd wonder how anyone ever learned anything on their own before the advent of forums. Hell, how'd they do it before the internet?!

This is really much easier than posting a whole thread for someone to spoon-feed you the answer: Let me google that for you

stamatisg2002

Will, a nicer answer never hurt anyone. That's the reason for the forum to be here. When you started with DSLRs did you knew everything, or a fairy came to show you around?

piddymom

Thanks Stamatis....Of course google is a good resource but I thought it would be better to learn from the "pros" !! I guess to some it does sound stupid but that was why I joined this forum so that I WOULD not be made to feel stupid. Happy New Year

Will V|Photography

Will, a nicer answer never hurt anyone. That's the reason for the forum to be here. When you started with DSLRs did you knew everything, or a fairy came to show you around?

You're right, nice answers never hurt anyone but coddling does nothing for the learning process. I did not know everything, and nor do I know everything now, but I did (do) all of my own research and built most of my own knowledge base from hours of reading and searching around. I know the forum is here for questions and help but 1) this isn't a D3100 specific question, and 2) it could be easily answered by a quick Google search instead of making a whole post and waiting for someone to hand you the answer. Hell, I'm sure the answer could've been found with a quick search of these very own forums. At some point, it just gets redundant. "Give a man a fish..."

I'm sorry if I offended you piddymom but that post was actually me putting it as kindly as I could because (IMO) you're just being lazy at this point. I'm 99% sure that there are more "pros" with their own blogs, tutorials, videos, and e-books out there than there are in this little corner of the internet. Did you follow the link I provided? Did it not answer your question? I am a nice person but you need to put forth a little effort on your end if you want any assistance from me.

Happy New Year

Last edited:

piddymom

Will, Will Will.....I am hardly lazy, hummmmm Im guessing by your wonderful friendly personality you must have a hugh social life and that is probably why you have "hours" to do research. I wasnt aware that YOU were the nikonites police and were given the right to judge people, that being said I feel for anyone involved in your life. You have done your job, you can take "your blog" and shove it......

Everything you find on Google does not always point you in the right direction. In fact there is a lot of very bad advice out there. In fact there is one "Nikon" site out there that is often spoke of here with a less than favorable tone. I happen to agree with that opinion. I often need help with something and have Googled the hell out of it only to end up more confused than when I started.
If you do not want to contribute to the positive helping atmosphere just move on to the next topic and try not to belittle newbies that came here because they want to learn.
Google first
Search forum
Then ask
There is no place for mean spirited people in this great forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.