Ready to buy the D700

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Both these lenses are DX lenses (they won't fill the FX full frame format). The price seems exuberant for the stuff that comes with the camera. I would not touch it even more since they do say "import" which means Nikon USA won't cover or repair it under warranty. The other lenses (I'm not sure how to name these things) are just toys that I don't think would be producing a high quality image that could be made with the D700 and Nikon prime zooms or lenses made for FX.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Edit: That's really overpriced for what you're getting. I would price the same items somewhere like B&H or just regular Amazon. Here's why:
  • You're buying an imported D700 = you won't get warranty service from Nikon if it breaks (I see the seller includes a warranty, but who knows what that includes
  • It includes two Nikon lenses that are for DX cameras. That's fine, they'll work, but if you're going to get the D700, why not get FX lenses?
  • The 18-55 lens is the kit lens that comes with the D5100, D3100
  • The 55-200 is a decent lens for the price, but it's cheap
  • Why get a crappy wide angle lens?
  • That 'super zoom' is laughable. It looks like it's better suited as a telescope, not a lens. They don't even provide aperture numbers.
  • The memory card is cheap
  • Corel makes photo editing software? Sounds like a give-away freebie for the seller
  • No name tripod = probably cheap

JoeLewisPhotography

WOW, why the hell would anyone bundle those 2 DX kit lenses with a D700? a wide angle attachment that says "Macro" on the side? Which is it? Everything you are getting additionally with this "bundle" aside from the D700, completely defeats the purpose of owning a D700 to begin with, and should be thrown in the garbage as soon as you receive it. that, or , Buy the D700 new from a reputable US dealer, then send me the $1000 you were going to throw away, and I will get rid of it for you :)

Last edited:

chowchow

You see, I think I am a decent photographer, and i would like to move up to a full frame. But in term of the technical aspects of camera, I am still learning. Any susgestion on how and where I should buy?

Thanks

Sambr

Don't buy anything that is Gray Market (Import) there will be no warranty. What do you shoot now? And do you really need a D700? Because unless you are prepared to spend big $$ on glass stick to what you have.

fotojack

It would help if you filled out your profile so we know how to answer you. Not knowing what you shoot with now, where you live, your areas of interests.....makes it difficult if not impossible to answer your questions.

RickSawThat

The camera body is the best piece of the equipment in the deal. It does not seem like ANY of the other equipment bundled matches the quality of the body. Maybe start your upgrade by investing in really nice lenses then move on to the FX body?

chowchow

I have a d5100, I shoot mostly landscape, but would like to transition into wedding photography to make some extra money. Without a doubt this is a huge investment, and I am fully aware of the lenses cost. Of course, I would like to make money doing wedding, but it's not a guarantee. Also, I will be travelling to China soon, so I would love to take some pics there with the D700.

LensWork

As others have stated, run away, far & fast from the "deal" you linked. In so far as where to buy, B&H and Adorama are usually my preferred online vendors.

Last edited:

Browncoat

The seller offering this "deal" is Celltime Inc. I've found several splinter companies associated with them, including JM Battery and Sam's Digital Discounts. All share the same customer service number. The main Celltime storefront in Brooklyn, NY has 3 employees and has been in business for 9 years. There are a few ripoff reports filed against this company, and they are not registered with the BBB. That alone doesn't send up red flags, but it would seem that they specialize in Chinese knockoffs and participate in shady rebate practices.

Personally, I would run...don't walk...away from this one. There are many more reputable dealers out there.

simonhodge

Happy days! Will this price drop pass on though as currently the actual price for the D700 is a few hundred $ below the retail price anyway.

Curt

Yes, it looks like they just threw some DX lenses in there and other cheaper things to make it look like a great deal?

Last edited by a moderator:

bluenoser

Banned
Nikon just announced a drop in price from $2,699 to $2,199 I think effective March 1.

Yes that is true, but....

Happy days! Will this price drop pass on though as currently the actual price for the D700 is a few hundred $ below the retail price anyway.

that is for the US market only....prices have already dropped in Europe a few days after the D800 announcement.

I'm very interested to see how the prices for the D700 hold up in the used market.

Stangman98

Yes that is true, but....

that is for the US market only....prices have already dropped in Europe a few days after the D800 announcement.

I'm very interested to see how the prices for the D700 hold up in the used market.

I am also interested in seeing the used market prices. If new will be what used already costs, it will be interesting to see if you can get an excellent quality used for $1500. I can't wait to see if the D3 starts to come down in used price too. If I can get a used D3 for $2500 or less I will be on that in a heartbeat