Help please

Obscure

Hi guys, I'm new here. I recently got a Nikon 3400 Dslr, I have been taking pictures for some time now. However I have only just got a decent camera. I pretty much need help with everything, But I do have a query about long exposure photography. I took these tonight but the light seems too intense, Is it just literally because of that big arse dopy light in the middle haha? I took one on the other side of the bridge but there was not enough cars but the light was better. The settings I used in manual were as follows.....

Shutter speed - 30 Sec
Aperture - 5.6
ISO - 100

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :]

I cant seem to upload the pictures. :[

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm new here. I recently got a Nikon 3400 Dslr, I have been taking pictures for some time now. However I have only just got a decent camera. I pretty much need help with everything, But I do have a query about long exposure photography. I took these tonight but the light seems too intense, Is it just literally because of that big arse dopy light in the middle haha? I took one on the other side of the bridge but there was not enough cars but the light was better. The settings I used in manual were as follows.....

Shutter speed - 30 Sec
Aperture - 5.6
ISO - 100

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :]

I cant seem to upload the pictures. :[

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

Jenn

Hi! My first attempts at long exposure were pretty carp, too....but the beauty of digital cameras is to take photos..and more photos and then maybe more photos, changing the settings as you go then get home and go through them all.....Practice is the key! Long exposures are tricky insofar as you don't quite know what you will get...how often has the police car sped through just after the 15 seconds or whatever have passed!! but that uncertainty is also part of their allure.....will you get the perfect shot?

Here is one of my first.....taken last year in June....I got better results later in the year when it was darker earlier and more traffic about, but it was a tad (??!!) colder...... first efforts.. 24 June 17G (13) - Copy.jpg

Scroll over it to get my settings....I have a D3300......

Good luck! Jenn

Jenn

....I forgot!! - Enter 'long exposure' in search box and trawl through what other Nikonites have posted...look at their settings ....that's what I did for fireworks....a wealth of knowledge and experience awaits!! Jenn