Large format printers

Ruidoso Bill

I have a chance to pick-up a large format HP Designjet 90 printer that is never used. Comes with a lot of large 16X20 photo paper and a box of new ink cartridges. One of the non-profits I support bought it, they said they paid over $1,000 and never figured out how to use it. I can barter a little web work for it if it worth it as a large photo printer? Anyone have any experience with one? I think it can print up to an 18 X 24"

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Thanks Pete, I did do some reading on different RIP software last night, like you said some are expensive but I did find some review using the native software it comes with and how you can put profiles in either lightroom or cs5 so I guess I'll give it a whirl.

Ruidoso Bill

Got my new printer, spent some time dusting it off and cleaning the filters etc but it is setup and working. I set a camera body next to it so you can appreciate the size, it is heavy, is 34 " wide and can print 18 X 24 and even has a roll feed setup I'll probably never use. It did come with a cd tutorial on how to print from photoshop directly to it. will play this evening.

Designjet90.jpg

Ruidoso Bill

Printer update - Had to replace a magenta printhead and now it aligns and color calibrates. I am having issues from Photoshop and Lightroom. It is printing dark so I am researching and joining printer forums for help. I have also ordered a network card so I can easily print from different computers. My $100 Kodak is network ready and a $1000 designjet you need to buy a card, go figure.

Ruidoso Bill

Another printer update, I have now replaced all six printheads, I finally think I have the printer working properly. I did put all new ink cartridges (came with printer) Six new printheads, a network card, my cheap printer is beginning to add up lol. It does produce one heck of a print!