Being a photographer for National Geographic has its disadvantages

Browncoat

There is a very good documentary called National Geographic: The Photographers. It's available on Netflix. It documents just how un-glamorous it is trudging through the jungle and getting eaten alive by bugs. Very good, I highly recommend checking it out.

Browncoat

Yeah, really. You'd think they would learn to wear heavier socks. The ones that caught my eye were:

20 - Amoebic dysentery and 90 - Severe diarrhea. I mean, nothing says "I'm dedicated to my work" like explosive diarrhea.

8 - Giardia. See above, only worse. Seriously, what are all these photographers doing to come into contact with so much poo?

1 - Penis fish. I'll take diarrhea instead, please. Kthx.

3 - Trips into Chernobyl Reactor. Umm, don't they have a guardrail around that thing?

2 - Seat belt releases while helicopter tipped over volcano. Suddenly the penis fish doesn't sound so bad.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
There is a very good documentary called National Geographic: The Photographers. It's available on Netflix. It documents just how un-glamorous it is trudging through the jungle and getting eaten alive by bugs. Very good, I highly recommend checking it out.

I actually started to watch this. It must've been even harder for them before digital. (it was made in 1998) At least now if a camera gets destroyed, the sd card can still survive and you can save your work. Not to mention not having to carry film around a rain forest and worrying if you got the shot or not.

Browncoat

Another good video on Netflix is: "At Close Range" Joel Satore, another National Geographic great watch. It is under documentaries.

Is that the one where they have a tiny camera mounted on top of his SLR so you can see what he sees while he's taking photos?

LensWork

It must've been even harder for them before digital. (it was made in 1998) At least now if a camera gets destroyed, the sd card can still survive and you can save your work. Not to mention not having to carry film around a rain forest and worrying if you got the shot or not.

Although Nikon DSLR's have been around for 20 years (the Nikon/Kodak DCS-100), NG did not authorize their first digital assignment until 2003.