Which AA NiMh rechargeable batteries reign supreme?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I’ve been searching for the best rechargeable batteries for my speedlight lately. I know based on this articles, (Compare Battery - Batteries Comparison and Best Batteries | Top Picks and Reviews at ConsumerSearch and Three month delay results--Hybrio and Eneloop much better than others: Accessories Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review among some of the references, the Sanyo Eneloop was the clearly the editor’s choice based on performance and slower discharge rate. This have led me to try out some of the newer product that Sanyo Eneloop offers such as the Eneloop XX High Capacity (2500mAh) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00688VHGO/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details and the Eneloop Pro. I do also have the Panasonic Evolt which I have not compared with my other regular white eneloop since they have different capacity. Are there any other NiMh batteries that can compete against the Sanyo batteries? I am interested in reading your personal experience (good or bad) so that we can save our hard earned money and get the best bang for our buck. Personally, I would stay away from the Energizers NiMh batteries. They just drain with few days of full charge.

New Sanyo eneloop pro
Eneloop_Pro_4.jpg

Eneloop_Pro_3.jpg

Panasonic Evolt
Panasonic_Evolt_NiMh_batteries.jpg

Browncoat

Personally, I don't use Eneloops. I don't feel their application is designed for use in photographic flash. That's a personal opinion, coming from someone who has powered R/C vehicles for 20 years and has experience with many battery types. Eneloops have a long discharge rate and shelf life, which makes them great for devices like tv remotes that have long periods of inactivity between uses. Also wall clocks and smoke detectors, which have low power needs.

Camera flash has spike/burst power needs. You don't care if your flash lasts for 3 months, you just want it to be able to operate at full power for the next few hours. Batteries in a camera flash have a very rapid discharge rate simply from using the device. For that, you need more battery capacity, not longevity.

To my knowledge, the highest capacity Eneloops are 2500mAh. You can pick up high quality 2700mAh batteries at a lower price and get more shots.

fotojack

I'm a dedicated Eneloop user. I have about a dozen of them, and use them in my SB-700 flash. I won't use anything else.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Glen

Have not use the new Eneloop Pro's but have been using the regular ones.
I have 2 dozens of the regular one's and 4 sets (32 pcs) of the Eneloop Tones Glitter http://panasonic.net/sanyo/news/2010/10/25-1.html
a
nd Im very satisfied with their performance.
Wont look for any other substitutes.

Wow! That's a lot of batteries. I guess in the long run it will be cost effective to use these batteries. I still see the multi-colored batteries on some stores but I never bothered with the color coding. If I take a few multiple batteries when traveling, I normally just invert the battery orientation so that they are not all the same i.e. + pointing up or down. That is my indication that those batteries where discharged already and requires charging.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Personally, I don't use Eneloops. I don't feel their application is designed for use in photographic flash. That's a personal opinion, coming from someone who has powered R/C vehicles for 20 years and has experience with many battery types. Eneloops have a long discharge rate and shelf life, which makes them great for devices like tv remotes that have long periods of inactivity between uses. Also wall clocks and smoke detectors, which have low power needs.

Camera flash has spike/burst power needs. You don't care if your flash lasts for 3 months, you just want it to be able to operate at full power for the next few hours. Batteries in a camera flash have a very rapid discharge rate simply from using the device. For that, you need more battery capacity, not longevity.

To my knowledge, the highest capacity Eneloops are 2500mAh. You can pick up high quality 2700mAh batteries at a lower price and get more shots.

Some of the problems that I have encountered using other brands such as the Energizer packs is that they really drain a lot faster than the eneloops. They might be ok if you are going to use the flash right away but if you are just charging them for your trip, or even use them the next day, you might be disappointed when it's time to get their performance. These are the ones that I purchased before and now I feel that these were a waste of investments.

battery_test.jpg

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm a dedicated Eneloop user. I have about a dozen of them, and use them in my SB-700 flash. I won't use anything else.

I loss track on how many eneloop batteries that I have now since most of my TV remotes, battery operated tooth brushes and even my kids XBOX 360 remote controllers are now using eneloops. Emergency lighting and flashlights also have eneloops since they are very good in retaining their charge.

Browncoat

These are the ones that I purchased before and now I feel that these were a waste of investments.

Well yeah...most "big brand" (Energizer/Duracell/etc.) rechargeable batteries are crap. Those you have pictured are 850mAh, and wouldn't power a flash unit or much else for very long. Those things are good for annoying toys with blinking lights and that's about it.

I use Powerex 2700mAh batteries.

Rick M

I've noticed the higher mAh eneloops are only rated for 500 recharges, where the 2000 mAh are rated for 1500 recharges, something to consider for those of us with less heavy demand.

Rick M

Ok, did a little research :) The Panasonic eneloop pro's are the ones to get. I would appreciate that link Glenn, looks like they are not sold in the US?

gqtuazon

Gear Head

singlerosa_RIP

I use the eneloops in my 3 SB-800s and find them to be OK. I used Ray-O-Vac rechargeables prior to that and find the difference is that the eneloops seem to have full power and until they're dead, where the others showed signs of power loss before going dead (longer refresh time).

RCL

I first tried the Energizers because they were easily acquired, but they have been a disappointment.
The Eneloops seem to be a big improvement and I recently picked up some Tenergy that I will give a shot.