file sequence numbers ?

momsquam

I am having a tough time figureing out how to get my camera to NOT start over at 001 when I put in a new memory card. I have changed the file sequence setting from off to on, but it still starts over at 001. It's becoming quite frustrating because I have photo's with the same file numbers and so they are all mixed up, and of course you can't upload the same file number twice so you have to change them before uploading. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

momsquam

well the camera assigns numbers starting at 001, and I have uploaded pictures with numbers from 001 to roughly 700. Now the camera starts the numbers over at 001 and when I go to upload pictures to computer there are duplicate file numbers/names. So each picture has to be renumbered/renamed before I can upload the new pictures.

JohnFrench

Everyone has the same issue, just simply upload the new photos to your computer into a newly created by you folder on the desktop, then work on them from there, renaming them by FILE, SAVE AS, from there, to where you want to keep them. I usually download my new photos into a desktop folder I have created for that day's work naming it simply the date, i.e., 120511; then inside that folder I work on the photos if they need it, and then I save them inside that folder in a new folder simply named READY120511. That way, when I need to find them for uploading to an online website, they are readily found.

momsquam

ok, I can do that.
so the feature in the camera to remember the previous memory cards file numbers and continue on instead of resetting to 001 just doesn't work ?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
The image count for a particular body is also stored in the EXIF. See the screenshot below from Photoshop for an example.It can be used for sequencing. However, if your body is serviced it is usually reset.

Setting up some sort of file management scheme similar to described previously is a good recommendation. Here is my approach.

Screen Shot 2011-12-07 at 7.51.55 AM.png

Will V|Photography

I was going to comment before I knew the full extent of the issue. I never knew that the D3100 couldn't store over 700 file numbers as I have not shot over 700 images in one shoot or event. I'm just the kind of person who tries to get the shot before I even press the shutter. I think the last car show I shot was 500 even, and that was over 6 hours of nonstop shooting. ~350 on one card and ~150 on another, both imported from camera to Lightroom. Not a single issue.

I know this probably doesn't help much but I figured I throw in my 2 cents.

momsquam

actually the 3100 will (depending on your memory card) store numbers up to 9999 according to the user manual. Trouble is once you shoot say 350 and import those, the camera starts over at 0001 even if I am using the same memory card. but thanks

I have the D3100 and my file number right now is at dsc1371. Right now there is only 2 shots on the memory card.

File Number Sequence
Set this ON. It defaults to off due to a firmware defect.
If left OFF, files will start at 0001.JPG every time a card is formatted, or a blank card is inserted.
If left off, as time goes on you will have a hundred files with the same number, like DSC_0024.JPG on your hard drive, and never be able to search or catalog them properly.
By setting this to ON, the D3100 numbers files up to DSC_9999.JPG, and only then does it repeat. This prevents too much file name duplication on your hard drive, or on your online galleries.

momsquam

weird, I have mine set ON and it doesn't do that. I found that setting and changed it when I first started having this issue. That is exactly what I want it to do. I am glad that I'm not loosing my mind and the camera is really supposed to do that though.

momsquam

I didn't know there were firmware updates. Do you know how I find out about firmware updates? I did see a thread titled firmware updates I look through that.