D7000-d300s

pmillage

Can someone tell me what you're getting in terms of advanced features for your 4500 dollars when buying a D700 and is it worth the cash if you have a D300S. On a side note, is the D7000 a step up or down from the D300S ?......Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Browncoat

Re: D700-d300s

The D7000 is a step down from the D300s.

The D700 is a full-frame camera. The larger sensor alone makes up the majority of the price difference. The D700 has better ISO capability, better AF, larger viewfinder, and other details. Essentially, the D700 is the entry level pro FX format camera.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Can someone tell me what you're getting in terms of advanced features for your 4500 dollars when buying a D700 and is it worth the cash if you have a D300S. On a side note, is the D7000 a step up or down from the D300S ?......Thanks!

Can you provide some additional details on what type of photography you shoot? If you shoot wildlife, sports then you are better off with a DX camera since they are cheaper including the lenses. The advantage is the overall IQ that you get if you are willing to pay the additional $.

D7000 has an advantage on the sensor and video. It doesn't have a rigid housing and weather sealing that the D300s offers. D300s has similar 51 point 3D AF system like the D700.

Curt

I disagree, the D7000 is a step up from the D300s? Higher iso, more advanced sensor, etc. No question it's a step up:).

Browncoat

I disagree, the D7000 is a step up from the D300s? Higher iso, more advanced sensor, etc. No question it's a step up:).

No.

The D7000 has a newer sensor, but overall, it's still a far cry from the D300s in terms of features.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

The D300, D300s and D700 are basically equivalent bodies with the difference of DX versus FX. They are considered professional bodies. A nice illustrated chart showing the progression of camera bodies is here.

Last edited:

Sambr

No.

The D7000 has a newer sensor, but overall, it's still a far cry from the D300s in terms of features.

I own both. The D7000 is miles ahead of the D300s. The D300s is old technoligy The D7000 is Nikon's best crop sensor DSLR out there for now. Having said that the D300s is a great camera if I didn't own the D7000 I would be perfectly happy with it.

Sorry Anthony - I say this with real world hands on testing not quotes.

Browncoat

By the same logic then, a 2011 Ford Taurus is a better car than a 1967 Ford Mustang because it has newer technology. The D300s is a step up the progression of Nikon's product line, and much more expensive, for a reason. A newer sensor doesn't make a better camera.

The D300s is a pro body and is Nikon's best crop sensor camera, period. The D7000 is a consumer level body with a crap ton less features that just happens to have a newer sensor. This isn't even a subject of debate or opinion. It's just fact.

Just to drive the point home, below is a screen capture of Nikon's DSLR offerings, taken directly from Nikon's website:

dslr.jpg

Last edited:

Rick M

Perhaps the D300s wins in the body and features catagories, but the D7000 wins in the sensor catagory? I'm sure at its realease it had the best crop sensor, but perhaps no longer. I'll bet the next generation gets the best crop sensor, but it does seem a bit dated against the new ones.

Must be a niche market for a DX sensor in a pro body, at that price I'd save for the FX

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm a little reluctant to participate to this thread since both cameras are quite great and they do fill a niche for a particular market. There is no doubt the D300s is more capable to withstand abuse of daily use, better weather sealing, faster AF and FPS. But, put both on a tripod and take pics with the same lens, the D7000 will have a little more definition.

So, if you plan on using the camera for professional use, it will probably be better to get the D300s which is, on the other hand, bigger and heavier than the D7000.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they both are good and we should not have a "pissing" contest between them. Get the one that suits you and take pictures with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcottone45

I happen to have a D300s & think it's a terrific camera even though its older technology, Marcel is right, a pissing contest between nikon camera's serves no purpose. Besides you could put a $35,000. Leica in my hands & I'd still be a half assed photographer albeit a more expensive one.
Remember the user's experience/expertise will decide if the art of photography is being served, the camera is the tool to that purpose.

Just my thoughts
Joe the half assed photographer.

jcottone45

Now that the landscapers are just about finished its back to" Beethoven's Symphony of the Dance by Arturo Toscanini"
How's that for "Old Technology" and I defy anyone to prove that any digital recording is any better.!!!

Browncoat

It's not a pissing contest...this is an apples to oranges comparison. It's not even about opinions, what purpose the camera serves, or who's hands the camera is in. There is a very clear, established product line. This forum needs to be a reliable source of information on Nikon products, and to say that the D7000 is a "step up" from the D300s because of newer technology is inaccurate. All of Nikon's products from the D7000 on down to the D3000 have newer technology than the pro level cameras. Are they better too? No.

If you're a D7000 owner, great. It's a fine camera. It replaced the D90, not the D300s.