Thumbnails & viewer for picture forums

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Today we added a feature to display image thumbnails within image forums, like the photo critique forum.

Here's how it works:
  • The first image in a thread will be displayed
  • If you roll over the image you see a larger thumbnail
  • If an image is not available the system will user the thread starters avatar.
  • If an avatar is not available a default image will be used.
If you see anything weird happening with this, please post here.

silvertip

The last page number of the thread are covered by the keyword, attachment and subscribed icons. May be it is just the size of my monitor. I know, I know bigger is better, but it makes it harder to carry.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I find this interesting but I personally would prefer to see the last picture of the thread instead of the first one. Some threads are old (365) and the last picture would be better suited as far as I'm concerned.
Just my opinion.

Marcel

JoeLewisPhotography

for me, this whole feature is a bit annoying. when clicking what's new, which i do every single time i visit, instead of my eyes going straight down reading topics, now they jog left to right to go "around" the thumbnails and non picture threads. Makes it more difficult to read. If people want to see the pictures inside the thread...Maybe they should just click it and take a look see?

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Hrm - I can move the image to the right side - that may help with where your eye goes and with hiding other things on smaller screens.

I'll see what I can do for listing the last image - that does make sense for 365, but not for photo critique.

JoeLewisPhotography

well a photo critique should ideally only have 1 image in the thread anyway....right? so first or last wont matter....unless your one of those people who feel the need to put their spin on your images and post it, then its an issue.

JoeLewisPhotography

if you could take the threads that dont have a thumbnail, and put the space before it as if it had one, so all the text would line up, that would be ideal, but not sure if you can do that or not

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I disabled it for search results/what's new. I agree that it is distracting otherwise. It turns out I can't easily move it to the right without doing some funky stuff with css.

I'll see if I can't figure out how to use the last image instead.