any personal experiences with sb-400?

Koolaid

its an affordable price for me and twice as less as the sb 600, but how does it perform? talking about wedding environments here

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Pros: light, small, inexpensive.

CONS:
- Cannot bounce the light in portrait mode
- not enough power
- limited selection of diffusers
- cannot function as a slave or master using Nikon CLS

Better off investing on 3rd party flash such as Nissin if Nikon is too expensive for you. Otherwise, a SB700 would be the minimum that I would get especially if you are going to shoot a very important event such as a wedding.

ND622MKIIN Nissin Di622 Mark II Digital Flash for Nikon iTTL, Guide #145, with Wireless TTL Remote Mode

Ranie

If I may add to Glenn's suggestion, you might also consider the SB600. CLS compatible, stronger than the new SB700 and cheaper.

Obir

I have an sb400 that I bought for its portability factor.
I don't do any professional photography, but I believe you'd definitely need something more powerful unless the wedding is held at a small venue with low ceilings so you may bounce the flash.

Best of luck:)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I have both a SB-800 and a SB-400. I love my SB-400. There are limitations as Glenn points out but for travel and fill-flash, it is great. My most frequently used lens is a Nikkor 17-55/f2.8. The pop-up from my D300 causes a shadow which is another reason I like the SB-400. More detail and examples in this thread.

Koolaid

Personally, I think you'd be happier with an SB-700. Seriously......look into it. I sold my SB-600 in favour of the SB-700. So much easier to use.
well, im not really concerned on how easy it is to use, i can learn. but the main factor here is price. i have a feeling this thread could turn into a sb600 vs sb 700 debate. :rolleyes: