Live music events?

Marko

Hey, no specific area for live music events but I figure it’s probably similar to sports in a sort of way.

I’d love to give live music photography a try but don’t know how to go about that. I’ve got D600 with 24-85mm 3.5-4.5, 50mm f1.8 and 105mm f2.8 manual focus super Takumar.

Has anyone got in to this area of photography and can you offer some advice about how to get a start? I don’t mean technical aspects as I understand that, I mean how to approach a venue and actually be allowed to shoot a gig?

Cheers in advance

M

Moab Man

I can't speak to this specific genre, music, but I can to sports and off-road industry. To get credentials you had to show that you had past work and were relevant. I would expect the same. To get started, I would suggest finding some small, really small local venues that you could approach and that in-trade for your photos being used on their social media you might get front access. Then you could hone your skills and develop a library of your work. It also helps if you can point to where your work is displayed. For example, if there was a website or Facebook social group covering the local music scene - relevance.

I don't know if this is all the groundwork you want to do, and it takes a lot of time, but that is what I had to do until it was known who I was.

editorial_use_only

You'll just have to start calling venues and performers. Something I would not do at this point is reaching out to a publication. If you haven't shot the subject before, booking a gig with a publication is a recipe for ruining your future.

Frankly, you don't have the best kit to shoot music. The D600 has fine high ISO performance, mine had fine AF performance in low light venues, so no problem there with your body. But your longest lens is a 105/2.8 and it's manual focus. Trying to pull focus while performers are moving around, especially if you are indoors in bad light, is going to be rough. You have a 50/1.8 but your wide zoom is slow. If you can find an outdoor daytime performance, you'll get something but frankly with a 105 as your long lens you are somewhat limited. If you are looking at clubs, indoors, the kind of smaller venues you are probably looking at will tend to have horrid, horrid lighting. Just set your expectations appropriately. Personally, I hate shooting gigs with tiny stage areas, you can't separate the performers from dingy curtains or windows or walls. They may let you shoot flash. If they do, remember to consider bounce and get some colored gels and radio triggers.

Something you might try is to reach out to the local university/college and see about shooting a performance or even a rehearsal. Music classes often have a performance as a final, and it may be in the stage venue with actual lighting.

One last thing: Working a gig as a photographer, even as a hobby photographer, I wouldn't shoot inside a bar/club without liability insurance. Accidents happen. Add alcohol and dancing and you've got a risky place to work.

Hey, no specific area for live music events but I figure it’s probably similar to sports in a sort of way.

I’d love to give live music photography a try but don’t know how to go about that. I’ve got D600 with 24-85mm 3.5-4.5, 50mm f1.8 and 105mm f2.8 manual focus super Takumar.

Has anyone got in to this area of photography and can you offer some advice about how to get a start? I don’t mean technical aspects as I understand that, I mean how to approach a venue and actually be allowed to shoot a gig?

Cheers in advance

M

Marko

Thanks for the replies guys.

I do hope to pick up a 24-70 2.8 VR later in the year but funds don’t allow that just yet. Ultimately I want to set myself up with the holy trinity and the 24-70 would be a good starting point!

I didnt think about liability insurance so thanks for that pointer too, something I need to sort out as I need that for track side motorsport too.

I know a few local music venues staff from years gone by so maybe I’ll try approaching them first, see if they would mind me honing my skills with local acts. They’re pretty small venues so wider lenses should be ok. funny enough I was at a gig on Saturday and from where i was a 70-200 would have been perfect but I was a little further back.

Thanks again for the input, it’s all helpful

Dawg Pics

It is good that you know some people. As a spectator, there are venues that won't let you shoot with pro equipment.
Good luck.

carguy

Cheers in advance

M

A good reference is Todd Owyoung's site - Best Music Photography - ishootshows.com

drummerJ99

I've always wondered if you need permission to shoot your local bands in local venues/festivals. I understand the stadium shows all have signs posted that "Interchangeable Lens Cameras aren't allowed". But have always wondered about the smaller local venues and bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketCowboy

I've always wondered if you need permission to shoot your local bands in local venues/festivals. I understand the stadium shows all have signs posted that "Interchangeable Lens Cameras aren't allowed". But have always wondered about the smaller local venues and bands.

For personal or commercial use? If you plan to use it for commercial purposes, you’ll want to make sure you have a release from all parties.

drummerJ99

For personal or commercial use? If you plan to use it for commercial purposes, you’ll want to make sure you have a release from all parties.

Is for your portfolio/website considered commercial use? Or is commercial only if you sell it? I've never sold a print so have never had to worry about it. Lol

RocketCowboy

Is for your portfolio/website considered commercial use? Or is commercial only if you sell it? I've never sold a print so have never had to worry about it. Lol

If your website is a hobbiest, aka not marketing for business, then it may be fine. If the website is for booking gigs, then it’s still commercial use. At least, that’s my interpretation and trying to keep myself out of trouble. :)