Tripod question

fotojack

Last edited:

Bukitimah

So there are 2 standards or they are the same? My vanguard has a much thinner screw. When I look at the others, visually they all look the same size but I am not sure.

I may want to mix the tripod and the ball head and I just don't want to end up not able to match them.

fotojack

If you look at the bottom of your ballhead, you'll see the screw hole will have a slot in it. It unscrews, and provides a larger screw hole if needed. I'll try and get a few pictures for you later on, after I finish watching The Grey Cup football game. ;)

fotojack

Here's your typical screw on top of a tripod....1/4-20. Another picture shows the slots in the bottom of a ball head. The other picture shows the bottom of the ball head with the adapter removed, showing the larger receiving hole in the bottom of the ball head. Notice the threads inside the adapter. This is in case the screw on top of your particular tripod is of the larger variety. You can buy these adapters at your local camera store. Hope this explains your question. :)

View attachment 6584

View attachment 6583

View attachment 6582

Last edited:

Bukitimah

Hi Jack, thank you for your explanation. So far I have not seen the adaptor you have shown on your photo although I know of such fitting as I am an engineer myself.

Most ball heads are with the bigger size hole you show on your picture with the adaptor removed. In this case, am I safe to assume the thread size for the bigger hole is 3/8 inch?

Bukitimah

I have originally decided on manfrotto 190 pro but I am always late when one is being offered in our local used forum.

I chance upon the Sirui T1005x and it has received many good reviews. What attracted me most is that one of it's legs can be removed to turn it into a monopod. I thought that was a great idea when you do not want to carry the full tripod. It is also compact and weights around 1 kg. Anyone here has experience with this tripod?

Patrick M

My monfroto has a small plate that screws to the camera base....then the plate clips onto the tripod. Makes it really easy to use :)

Bukitimah

Hi thank you for all the adivce. I have purchased the Sirui T1004. I brought along my ball head to make sure it fit before buying.

Well, the T1005 does not have the monopod feature but the N series does. However, I find the monopod too short to be useful for me. The T1005 is also slightly shorter than the T1004. I and about 1.73 so I decided on the T1004.

It looms decent to me but I need to test it out.

Eye-level

Banned
I have virtually nil experience using the modern lenses but I keep noticing more and more references to the sort of tripod rule about VR lenses - turn off the VR. Like I said I'm not qualified to say but I notice in your sig that both of your lenses are VR so you may want to study the VR and tripod thing a bit.

Bukitimah

Just to update in case anyone of you is buying the Sirui tripod. I was testing the T1005 but the saleman told me it does not have the monopod option. The model with monopod is the N series not the T. He pointed out that when you remove one leg for the monopod, it is a bit too short. I tested it and agree as I am 1.73 m. Even the T1005 with the centre piece extended is a bit short.

He recommended the T1004 instead. I find it is much better and bought it. Of course the CF version would be better but it is $120 more and 300 gram lighter I think.

fotojack

Thanks for the VR advice I did not know that. But why is it better with VR off and does the same apply for mono pods?

The idea behind VR is to stop or reduce any kind of shake or vibration, eliminating or severely reducing blurry photos. When mounted on a tripod, VR becomes redundant. The camera is securely mounted, not moving, so no need for the VR function.
On a monopod, there is no absolute stability, just on the up and down plane. There's still the possibility of side to side movement, so VR would be used to reduce movement...........although, depending on what you're shooting, this would be a judgement call, based on experience, and how steady you are while focusing.

WayneF

Hi
My nikon tripod handle grip which will be used tilt up and down screw is missing.
​can anyone tell me what is the size

I probably do not understand which screw you mean, but if it is the standard tripod screw that screws into the camera base - that is a standard 1/4"x20 National Coarse, available at any American hardware store.